This is a temporary full time assignment for approximately one (1) year.
In 2015, Bridgepoint Active Healthcare, Circle of Care, Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute and Mount Sinai Hospital, came together to form Sinai Health System – and leverage our collective expertise and create a system that better responds to the changing needs of our patients, families and clients. Sinai Health has a bold vision and strategy for the future: To create Canada’s leading health system pushing the boundaries to realize the best health and care for complex patients. A key enabler of this vision is Sinai Health’s People Plan – which provides an explicit commitment to our people about our commitment to creating a workplace culture and environment that is safe, caring, equitable, compassionate and accountable in order to ultimately provide optimal care to patients and their family caregivers.
To support us on our journey, Sinai Health System is looking for a Registered Nurse to support our 14-North team at our Mount Sinai Hospital Campus. 14 North has 28 inpatient surgical beds. The patient population is predominantly Surgical Oncology (Includes: Retroperitoneal, Pelvic, Visceral, Sarcomas, Gastro-Intestinal Stomal Tumours, Colo-Rectal Cancer, Breast Cancer, Thyroid Cancer,) as well as General Surgery, Palliative Care and Inflammatory Bowel Disease. The unit also has a 4 bed surgical step down unit with a patient population of Surgical Oncology, General Surgery, Orthopaedics, Gynecology, Plastics and Urology services.
- Current certificate of registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Current BCLS
- Excellent teaching skills experience that incorporates adult learning principles
- Sound knowledge base in pain (PCA, epidural, CADD) and symptom management
- Sound knowledge base in skin and wound care
- Sound knowledge base in IV therapy
- Sound knowledge base in TPN
- Sound knowledge base in chest tube care
- Sound knowledge base in ostomy care
- BScN (preferred)
- Specialty certificate in oncology (preferred)
- 1 year recent adult medical surgical nursing experience with advanced skills in ostomy care, TPN and chest tubes (preferred)
- Commitment to professional practice and personal development
- Commitment to shared leadership and team-based decision making
- Demonstrated excellent critical thinking, decision making and problem solving skills
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills
- Commitment to patient and family centred care
- Attend Acute Care course and work in Surgical Step Down Unit with in one year of hire to the unit
- Demonstrated satisfactory work performance and attendance history
All applications must be submitted by no later than 4:00 p.m. of the posting deadline date.
Sinai Health is committed to fostering a culture and environment that is safe, caring, equitable, compassionate and accountable in order to provide optimal care to patients and their family caregivers. As such, all employees will follow safe work practices and comply with the roles and responsibilities that are outlined with respect to health and safety policies, procedures and training. In accordance with Sinai Health policy and legislated health and safety requirements, employment is conditional upon the verification of credentials, completion of a health review, and demonstrating proof of immunity and vaccination status of vaccine-preventable diseases.
Sinai Health is a scent sensitive environment and all members of the community are expected to refrain from wearing or using scented products while visiting or working at any Sinai Health site. We also support a barrier-free workplace supported by Sinai Health’s accessibility plan, accommodation and disability management policies and procedures. Should you require accommodation at any point during the recruitment process, including accessible job postings, please call the Accommodation Phone Line at 416-586-4800 ext. 7050 or email HiringProcessAccommodation.email@example.com