In 2015, Bridgepoint Active Healthcare, Circle of Care, Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute and Mount Sinai Hospital, came together to form Sinai Health System – and leverage our collective expertise and create a system that better responds to the changing needs of our patients, families and clients. Sinai Health has a bold vision and strategy for the future: To create Canada’s leading health system pushing the boundaries to realize the best health and care for complex patients.
A key enabler of this vision is Sinai Health’s People Plan – which provides an explicit commitment to our people about our commitment to creating a workplace culture and environment that is safe, caring, equitable, compassionate and accountable in order to ultimately provide optimal care to patients and their family caregivers.
To support us on our journey, Sinai Health System is looking for a Patient Observer (Remote Patient Safety Monitor (RPSM) to support our staff across Sinai Health to promote and ensure safety for our patients. The role is primarily located at our Mount Sinai Hospital Campus.
As part of the patient care team, the Patient Observer (Remote Patient Safety Monitor) provides enhanced observation of an assigned group of patients. This role uses the remote video monitoring system’s 1-way visual to observe and 2-way audio device to verbally re-direct patients who are at risk of injury to themselves and / or others.
This is a temporary assignment which is expected to last up to fourteen (14) months.
- Maintain visual observation of assigned patients using video monitoring software
- Document patient activities, behaviours and any specific identified and/or notable incidents
- Use two- way audio device to initiate verbal contact with patient as required to redirect patient from at risk behaviours and foster patient safety.
- Notifies other members of care team as per established protocols if patient requires assistance, is engaged in potentially unsafe behaviours, or appears to pose a risk to themselves or others.
- Follow directions and instructions of registered health professional and nursing staff
- Notify and escalate concerns to manager/designate, NCM
- Ensure appropriate coverage is in place whenever leaving the monitoring station.
- Participate in the communication and transfer of all pertinent patient information with Remote Patient Safety Monitor at shift handover
- Collaborates with the rest of the care team in identifying, reporting and addressing potential safety issues.
- Successful completion of High School Diploma
- Successful completion of a Health Care Aide or Personal Support Worker certificate required (Applicants currently enrolled in a relevant healthcare program may be considered)
- Applicants with proven equivalent recent and related training and experience may also be considered
- Proficiency with medical terminology
- Ability to respond to alarms and sensors to perform the necessary duties of this role
- Demonstrated ability to utilize related computer systems (e.g. patient care databases, etc.) and ensure attention to detail and accuracy in data retrieval and input
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and read using English in order to effectively perform the essential requirements of this position
- Demonstrated initiative and good judgment with the ability to multi-task
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of the care team
All applications must be submitted by no later than 4:00 p.m. of the posting deadline date.
Sinai Health is committed to fostering a culture and environment that is safe, caring, equitable, compassionate and accountable in order to provide optimal care to patients and their family caregivers. As such, all employees will follow safe work practices and comply with the roles and responsibilities that are outlined with respect to health and safety policies, procedures and training. In accordance with Sinai Health policy and legislated health and safety requirements, employment is conditional upon the verification of credentials, completion of a health review, and demonstrating proof of immunity and vaccination status of vaccine-preventable diseases.
Sinai Health is a scent sensitive environment and all members of the community are expected to refrain from wearing or using scented products while visiting or working at any Sinai Health site. We also support a barrier-free workplace supported by Sinai Health’s accessibility plan, accommodation and disability management policies and procedures. Should you require accommodation at any point during the recruitment process, including accessible job postings, please call the Accommodation Phone Line at 416-586-4800 ext. 7050 or email HiringProcessAccommodation.email@example.com