Temporary Full-time Assignment for Approximately Six (6) Months
Sinai Health has a bold vision and strategy for the future: To create Canada’s leading integrated health system pushing the boundaries to realize the best health and care from healthy beginnings to healthy aging for people with complex health needs. A key enabler of this vision is Sinai Health’s People Plan – which provides an explicit commitment to our people about our commitment to creating a workplace culture and environment that is safe, caring, equitable, compassionate and accountable in order to ultimately provide optimal care to patients and their family caregivers.
To support us on our journey, Sinai Health is looking for a Nurse Practitioner / Clinical Nurse Specialist to support our Emergency Department. The role is primarily located at our Mount Sinai Hospital campus.
The Nurse Practitioner / Clinical Nurse Specialist has a specialty-based focus, functions in an expanded nursing role demonstrating a high level of autonomy and expert skill to formulate clinical decisions and appropriately manage Emergency Department (ED) patients. You will be part of the leadership team for the ED, providing nursing leadership in knowledge-based practice, the development of standards, processes and quality initiatives enhancing the care for ED patients.
- Interprets, fosters and maintains the philosophy, standards, goals and objectives of a Magnet© Designated organization and the Department of Nursing.
- Provides leadership in advanced nursing practice through the collaborative management of patients, families or groups within the ED patient population.
- Initiates and/or coordinates the implementation of a comprehensive plan of care developed in collaboration with the medical team, the patient and family, and other multidisciplinary team members as necessary.
- Evaluates and modifies the plan in response to changes in the patient’s status.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates initiatives that improve patient care quality in ED Service, in accordance with the strategic goals of the organization and person-centred care. This includes a leadership role in quality assurance in the ED, leading selected quality activities and administrative duties including participating as a member/leader of departmental and corporate committees.
- Collaborates in the establishment of goals and objectives for the ED Service consistent with the provision of high quality care.
- Participates in the programmatic development of the clinical area.
- Participates and provides leadership in policy, procedure and program development and evaluation.
- Develops and maintains standards of nursing practice and management of patient care through the creation of an environment conducive to growth and development of staff and excellence in nursing practice.
- Develops partnerships within Mount Sinai and the community, including community services, multi-cultural services, etc. to enhance continuity of care for patients.
- Delivers, coordinates and participates in education and professional development activities/programs.
- Performs activities to further develop and strengthen the profession including the supervision of students.
- Performing other duties consistent with the job classification, as required.
- Current registration (Extended Class) in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Master’s degree in Nursing, completion of a Nurse Practitioner (Adult preferred) program or equivalent
- Completion of CNO approved Controlled Substances Education
- Minimum 5 years of recent Emergency Department nursing experience
- Member of RNAO or NPAO and other professional associations/organizations relevant to the role
- Eligible for cross-appointment to an academic institution (preferred)
- ACLS and BCLS required
- Expertise in comprehensive assessments which includes a collection of both historical and psychosocial data, the pathophysiology of the disease process, recognition of risk factors and physical examination; includes ability to assess health status, diagnosis, development of a treatment plan, implementation of plan, and follow-up and evaluation of the patient status
- Comprehensive knowledge and a high level of clinical competence in caring for this complex patient population
- Expert in the use and interpretation of screening techniques and diagnostic techniques, tests and tools
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience in interdisciplinary practice environments and a team approach to health care delivery
- Proven experience successfully leading and facilitating change with multi-disciplinary teams
- Proven ability to critique and utilize research and ability to practice from an evidence-based perspective
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; professional, diplomatic and confident with a proven ability to work with individuals across all levels of the organization and external stakeholders
- Superior organizational and time management skills with the proven ability to manage competing demands
- Excellent decision making, problem recognition, problem-solving, negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated commitment to collaborative practice
- Flexible with the ability to work independently and efficiently in a fast-paced, multitasking and dynamic environment
- Demonstrated satisfactory work performance and attendance history
All applications must be submitted by no later than 4:00 p.m. of the posting deadline date.
Sinai Health is committed to fostering a culture and environment that is safe, caring, equitable, compassionate and accountable in order to provide optimal care to patients and their family caregivers. As such, all employees will follow safe work practices and comply with the roles and responsibilities that are outlined with respect to health and safety policies, procedures and training. In accordance with Sinai Health policy and legislated health and safety requirements, employment is conditional upon the verification of credentials, completion of a health review, and demonstrating proof of immunity and vaccination status of vaccine-preventable diseases.
Sinai Health is a scent sensitive environment and all members of the community are expected to refrain from wearing or using scented products while visiting or working at any Sinai Health site. We also support a barrier-free workplace supported by Sinai Health’s accessibility plan, accommodation and disability management policies and procedures. Should you require accommodation at any point during the recruitment process, including accessible job postings, please call the Accommodation Phone Line at 416-586-4800 ext. 7050 or email HiringProcessAccommodation.firstname.lastname@example.org