In 2015, Bridgepoint Active Healthcare, Circle of Care, Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute and Mount Sinai Hospital, came together to form Sinai Health – and leverage our collective expertise and create a system that better responds to the changing needs of our patients, families and clients. Sinai Health has a bold vision and strategy for the future: To create Canada’s leading health system pushing the boundaries to realize the best health and care for complex patients.
A key enabler of this vision is Sinai Health’s People Plan – which provides an explicit commitment to our people about our commitment to creating a workplace culture and environment that is safe, caring, equitable, compassionate and accountable in order to ultimately provide optimal care to patients and their family caregivers.
To support us on our journey, the Medical Device Reprocessing Department (MDRD) is looking for an MDRD Assistant to join its team at the Mount Sinai Hospital campus.
As an integral member of the team, the MDRD Assistant is responsible for transporting medical devices to and from the MDRD and handling them with great care and precision. The MDRD Assistant plays a critical role in protecting all equipment from damage and ensures the efficient and safe transport of all items in compliance with applicable legislation (e.g. Occupational Health and Safety Act) and other applicable Hospital policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the daily replenishment/distribution of soiled, clean, sterile and non-sterile items to required locations, e.g. Nursing, Clinical and Support areas, etc.
- Collects soiled equipment from all MDRD customers on a scheduled basis
- Documents all trips and communicates any issues to the supervisor(s) e.g. no items for pick up, etc.
- Transfers sterile / unsterile devices between carts
- Ensures devices received from MDRD customers are handled carefully and contained appropriately and correctly prior to delivery to the MDRD and/or the end user
- Ensures empty carts, skids and totes are returned and placed in the appropriate locations as determined by the department
- Maintains clean and organized inventory rooms
- Documents the receipt and delivery of soiled, clean, sterile and non-sterile medical devices / supplies using computerized inventory systems.
- Accurately tracks inventory in designated locations, via scanner technology, putting away stock in a timely and efficient manner
- Reviews quantities received, check discrepancies, following established procedures and reports discrepancies to supervisor(s) in a timely manner
- Monitors end-user activity and reports deficiencies, e.g. missing soiled collection containers, rapidly depleting inventory, item errors, etc. to management team
- Responds to emergency calls from customers requiring reprocessing to ensure timely and efficient delivery of equipment to and from the MDRD
- Follows all applicable Hospital, Provincial and Federal healthcare guidelines
- Performs cross functional duties as assigned and/or required
- Successful completion of a high school diploma
- Current Medical Device Reprocessing Certificate from an Accredited Community College preferred
- 1-2 years of recent and related experience working in a medical device reprocessing department preferred
- Demonstrated experience with inventory distribution and replenishment
- Working knowledge of medical device reprocessing; must be able to obtain a minimum of 65% in job related exercise including the instrument recognition portion
- Strong knowledge of aseptic methods and practices
- Experience with medical/surgical supplies preferred
- Demonstrated computer experience and knowledge, preferably with instrument tracking/inventory systems, scanner technology, photocopier, telephone, etc. with the ability to adapt to technological change
- Accurate with strong attention to detail; good understanding of quality control and assurance
- Exercises initiative and good judgment with ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced environment, completing tasks within scheduled times
- Superior customer service focus with the ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner
- Must be able to work with organic and inorganic residues such as blood, bodily fluids, secretions, etc. as found on medical devices
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position in order to perform the essential duties of the job which requires walking, standing, and bending for extended periods of time e.g. constant standing and walking; lifting / pushing up to 25lbs
- Demonstrates ability to communicate and read using English in order to effectively perform the requirements of the position
- Demonstrated satisfactory work performance and attendance history
All applications must be submitted by no later than 4:00 p.m. of the posting deadline date.
Sinai Health is committed to fostering a culture and environment that is safe, caring, equitable, compassionate and accountable in order to provide optimal care to patients and their family caregivers. As such, all employees will follow safe work practices and comply with the roles and responsibilities that are outlined with respect to health and safety policies, procedures and training. In accordance with Sinai Health policy and legislated health and safety requirements, employment is conditional upon the verification of credentials, completion of a health review, and demonstrating proof of immunity and vaccination status of vaccine-preventable diseases.
Sinai Health is a scent sensitive environment and all members of the community are expected to refrain from wearing or using scented products while visiting or working at any Sinai Health site. We also support a barrier-free workplace supported by Sinai Health’s accessibility plan, accommodation and disability management policies and procedures. Should you require accommodation at any point during the recruitment process, including accessible job postings, please call the Accommodation Phone Line at 416-586-4800 ext. 7050 or email HiringProcessAccommodation.firstname.lastname@example.org