This is a temporary full-time assignment for approximately 12 months.
In 2015, Bridgepoint Active Healthcare, Circle of Care, Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute and Mount Sinai Hospital, came together to form Sinai Health System – and leverage our collective expertise and create a system that better responds to the changing needs of our patients, families and clients. Sinai Health has a bold vision and strategy for the future: To create Canada’s leading integrated health system pushing the boundaries to realize the best health and care from healthy beginnings to healthy aging for people with complex health needs.
A key enabler of this vision is Sinai Health’s People Plan – which provides an explicit commitment to our people about our commitment to creating a workplace culture and environment that is safe, caring, equitable, compassionate and accountable in order to ultimately provide optimal care to patients and their family caregivers. To support us on this journey, we are seeking an exceptional and experienced microbiology professional, with the skills and abilities to assume the exciting role of Manager, Microbiology COVID-19.
In partnership with the Microbiology Services Leadership Team, the Manager will provide financial leadership and oversight for all assigned budgets as well as maintain compliance with all regulatory bodies. Working collaboratively with an exceptional interprofessional team, the Manager will lead by example in maintaining consistently elevated standards of care, utilization and patient safety. With a focus on quality and clinical excellence, the Manager will participate in identifying and implementing person-centered care initiatives that inspire best practices and leading-edge outcomes.
Collaborative Leadership and Strategic Alignment
- Participates in the strategy development process to drive operational change initiatives and optimization of Microbiology Services specifically within the COVID-19 testing.
- In partnership with the Microbiology Services Leadership Team, ensures the development of operating and performance plans that support strategy achievement for Microbiology Services aligning with the Clinical Diagnostics portfolio.
- Together with the Microbiology Services Leadership Team, contributes to the vision, mission and corresponding annual goals for Microbiology Services and ensures consistency with Sinai Health’s strategic plan.
- Oversees the operations of Microbiology COVID-19 Services and provides leadership and oversight in the development and implementation of all licensure/accreditation, departmental programs, initiatives, structures, systems, policies and procedures.
- Recruits, develops and manages staff; completes regular employee performance appraisals and supports the development of learning plans.
- Fosters effective labour relations through knowledgeable interpretation and implementation of collective agreements.
- Provides financial leadership and oversight for all assigned budgets and establishes relevant operational metrics for portfolio performance.
- Provides turnaround time indicators and monitors client satisfaction.
- Responds to administrative and clinical emergencies as required.
- In partnership with Microbiology Services Leadership Team, contributes to identifying capital needs, the development of business cases and initiates capital purchases.
- Facilitates RFP process for contract agreements and capital acquisition.
- Oversees the prioritization of projects and directs resources to ensure the attainment of departmental key performance indicators.
- Directs development of specific short and long-range programs and project plans to obtain portfolio objectives.
Quality and Safety
- Promotes and maintains a safe patient care and work environment by assessing for and managing actual and potential risks. This also includes engaging in safety audits, promoting staff accountability in workplace safety, and ensuring that adequate structures and processes are in place such as staffing, equipment, supplies, physical space, policies and procedures.
- Ensures cross-departmental consistency, where appropriate in meeting regulatory and accreditation compliance standards.
- Optimizes the use of automation and technology to improve operational efficiencies and ensure safe best-in-class services.
- Implements the use of appropriate metrics to measure quality outcomes that will allow the development of strategic performance improvement activities aimed at achieving System quality aims.
- Ensures timely reporting and liaising with key healthcare system stakeholders (quarterly financial and statistical reports).
- Undertakes and encourages professional development amongst the Microbiology COVID-19 team to enhance professional growth and development ensuring staff keep abreast of industry developments, legislation and trends.
- Leads, monitors and evaluates continuous quality improvement and program development initiatives that support departmental goals aligned with the Sinai Health’s strategic direction.
- Encourages staff participation in quality improvement activities for the department and prepares quality improvement reports.
Collaborative Working Partnerships
- Represents Microbiology Services in relevant internal and external committees and forums as appropriate.
- Together with leadership serves as liaison with external funding agencies, regulatory agencies and other collaborating institutions.
- Fosters collaborative inter-professional practice between Microbiology Services and all other medical, clinical and support departments within Sinai Health to ensure efficiencies and high quality person-centered care.
- Establishes, promotes and maintains good public relations through effective communication within and outside Sinai Health.
- Functions within the shared services structure to advance initiatives, communications and coordination with Sinai Health.
- Ensures achievement of performance targets as jointly planned and established for Microbiology Services.
- Collaborates with Microbiology Labs in the GTA and across Canada on studies and methods development e.g. VRE chromagar study, etc.
- Successful completion of a bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field from an accredited educational institution preferred.
- Licensed in good standing with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologist in Ontario (CMLTO).
- A minimum of 3-5 years of successful laboratory operations performance coupled with a demonstrated practice of increasing task responsibility and/or accountability within current role(s).
- Demonstrated leadership experience (e.g. experience in a formal leadership role) preferred.
- Experience providing mentorship and staff training preferred.
- Applicants with proven equivalent recent and related training and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated operational experience influencing clinical staff within a complex health care setting, preferably in an academic health organization.
- Proven experience in clinical microbiology laboratory in a teaching hospital with multiple clients preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to professional and personal development.
- Strong analytical abilities, ideally coupled with superior organizational skills and experience coordinating multiple assignments/projects simultaneously.
- Flexible and self-directed with the ability to manage competing priorities during periods of rapid change and transition with constantly shifting priorities.
- Proven consultation, negotiation and consensus building skills with the ability to proactively problem-solve complex issues with a variety of stakeholders.
- Excellent networking and relationship building skills with both internal and external stakeholders as a means to ensure ongoing process improvement and the achievement of performance targets.
- Models collaborative, cross-portfolio engagement to build consensus and create solutions to complex issues; demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of effective strategies to maximize inter-professional collaboration.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with the proven ability to clearly define and articulate requirements, priorities, impacts, and solutions.
- Possesses a high level of accountability and proven capability to identify opportunities, take initiative and think through future implications.
- Track record for creating and sustaining a quality and safety culture with the proven ability to effectively function within health and safety guidelines providing a safe and supportive environment for all stakeholders.
- Proven experience achieving and inspiring ongoing process improvement and the achievement of performance targets.
- Sound knowledge and application of financial and operational management with the ability to effectively manage diverse human, financial and physical resources.
- Trusted, respected and progressive leader with proven skills in inspiring, motivating, and leading a service-oriented, client-focused service.
- High ethical standards, promotes inclusiveness and recognizes and respects the value of diversity within our community and our workforce.
- Possesses a sense of personal responsibility for the overall success of the team, shares credit and recognizes people for their accomplishments.
- Proven demonstration of workplace excellence shown by commitment to strong job performance and attendance.
All applications must be submitted by no later than 4:00 p.m. of the posting deadline date.
Sinai Health is committed to fostering a culture and environment that is safe, caring, equitable, compassionate and accountable in order to provide optimal care to patients and their family caregivers. As such, all employees will follow safe work practices and comply with the roles and responsibilities that are outlined with respect to health and safety policies, procedures and training. In accordance with Sinai Health policy and legislated health and safety requirements, employment is conditional upon the verification of credentials, completion of a health review, and demonstrating proof of immunity and vaccination status of vaccine-preventable diseases.
Sinai Health is a scent sensitive environment and all members of the community are expected to refrain from wearing or using scented products while visiting or working at any Sinai Health site. We also support a barrier-free workplace supported by Sinai Health’s accessibility plan, accommodation and disability management policies and procedures. Should you require accommodation at any point during the recruitment process, including accessible job postings, please call the Accommodation Phone Line at 416-586-4800 ext. 7050 or email HiringProcessAccommodation.email@example.com