This is a temporary part-time assignment for approximately 6 months.
These are unprecedented times in health care and the COVID-19 pandemic has created a need for Technician IIIs (COVID-19) to support our Microbiology department in achieving and sustaining its ability to process an ever increasing volume of COVID-19 tests.
Technician III (COVID-19) duties will include:
- Receiving and sorting laboratory COVID-19 specimens
- Accessioning, preparation and plating of COVID-19 samples
- Putting away and ordering supplies
- Preparing COVID-19 samples and reports
- Centrifuging, aliquoting and distributing patient COVID-19 samples to the appropriate areas for analysis
- Preparing COVID-19 specimens for storage and packaging COVID-19 specimens to be sent to other labs as required
- Performing other duties consistent with the position, as required
- Graduate of a Medical Laboratory Assistant program or equivalent
- Bachelors, Masters, & Doctorate graduates from Sciences programs (biology, chemistry, microbiology, biochemistry) may also be considered if willing to complete COVID-19 Testing Onboarding Training Program provided by the Michener Institute in collaboration with Health Force Ontario; see: https://support.desouzainstitute.com/kb/section/15/
- Applicants with proven equivalent recent and related training and experience may be considered
- Experience with planting Microbiology specimens, separating and labelling serum preferred
- Knowledge of the public health laboratory information system preferred
- Knowledgeable in safety practices when handling biological specimens
- Effective organizational, time management and prioritization skills
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft applications
- Ability to work cooperatively and communicate well with other staff
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and read using English in order to effectively perform the requirements of this position
- Demonstrated satisfactory work performance and attendance history
- In accordance with accreditation standards, employment is conditional upon applicants demonstrating proof of visual colour discrimination ability pertinent to the essential duties of the job
All applications must be submitted by no later than 4:00 p.m. of the posting deadline date.
Sinai Health is committed to fostering a culture and environment that is safe, caring, equitable, compassionate and accountable in order to provide optimal care to patients and their family caregivers. As such, all employees will follow safe work practices and comply with the roles and responsibilities that are outlined with respect to health and safety policies, procedures and training. In accordance with Sinai Health policy and legislated health and safety requirements, employment is conditional upon the verification of credentials, completion of a health review, and demonstrating proof of immunity and vaccination status of vaccine-preventable diseases.
Sinai Health is a scent sensitive environment and all members of the community are expected to refrain from wearing or using scented products while visiting or working at any Sinai Health site. We also support a barrier-free workplace supported by Sinai Health’s accessibility plan, accommodation and disability management policies and procedures. Should you require accommodation at any point during the recruitment process, including accessible job postings, please call the Accommodation Phone Line at 416-586-4800 ext. 7050 or email HiringProcessAccommodation.email@example.com