In 2015, Bridgepoint Active Healthcare, Circle of Care, Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute and Mount Sinai Hospital, came together to form Sinai Health System – and leverage our collective expertise and create a system that better responds to the changing needs of our patients, families and clients. Sinai Health has a bold vision and strategy for the future: To create Canada’s leading health system pushing the boundaries to realize the best health and care for complex patients.
A key enabler of this vision is Sinai Health’s People Plan – which provides an explicit commitment to our people about our commitment to creating a workplace culture and environment that is safe, caring, equitable, compassionate and accountable in order to ultimately provide optimal care to patients and their family caregivers.
To support us on our journey, Sinai Health System is looking for an Anesthesia Assistant to support our Respiratory Therapy Department at Mount Sinai Hospital.
As a Respiratory Therapist in the Anaesthesia Care Team (ACT) you will provide technical support and clinical assistance to the Anaesthesiologist, functioning at times as a Clinical Extender. At all times, you will be working under the direct clinical supervision of an attending Anaesthesiologist and as a member of an Anaesthesia care team. The duties include (but are not limited to) assessment of labouring, pre-op and post-op patients, assistance with the induction, maintenance and recovery phases of anaesthesia, monitoring stable patients under regional or general anesthesia, monitoring and post-op transport of stable women undergoing caesarean section, assessment of the analgesic requirements of laboring women, troubleshooting labour epidurals and administration of epidural top-ups as prescribed by the Anaesthesiologist. You may also administer and monitor procedural sedation to mothers undergoing fetal procedures.
In addition to your time spent in Labour and Delivery the AA has a large presence in the Main Operating Room, Endoscopy Suite, elective outpatient surgery and the Kensington Eye Institute and other areas where there is anaesthetic coverage. Your patient care caseload will depend on clinical needs, as determined by the responsible anesthesiologists.
Main OR duties will be similar but may also include administration and monitoring of procedural sedation. You will practice in accordance with the standards of practice and guidelines as outlined by the Canadian Anaesthesiologists Society (CAS), the College of Respiratory Therapy of Ontario (CRTO), hospital policies and operate under medical directives or direct physician orders.
Other responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing care to other patient care areas, including the Emergency Department, Medicine and Surgery units, and Intensive Care Units (both adult and neonatal).
- Operating, setting up, maintaining and troubleshooting all anesthesia equipment, including the anesthesia gas machines.
- Airway management including difficult airways, hemodynamic monitoring; set up of mechanical ventilators.
- Managing and transporting patients that require mechanical ventilation.
- Restocking anesthetic supplies.
- Assisting with research.
- Teaching house staff and students (inter-professional disciplines).
- And additional duties, as required.
- Completion of an accredited Anesthesia Assistant Graduate Certificate Program & knowledge in predetermined anesthesia related educational objectives.
- Note: Applicants currently enrolled in and scheduled to complete their Anesthesia Assistant certificate program and educational objectives within six (6) months of hire may be considered.
- Member in good standing with the College of Respiratory Therapists of Ontario (CRTO).
- Minimum of 2 years of recent Critical Care Experience and 3-5 years as a Registered Respiratory Therapist.
- Applicants with proven equivalent recent and related training and experience may also be considered.
- Preferred member in good standing with the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists, Respiratory Therapy Society of Ontario and Canadian Anesthesiologist Society.
- Current certification in BCLS, ACLS, AED and NRP.
- Good communication, clinical and teaching skills, exhibits good teamwork and individual motivation, has excellent organizational and prioritization skills.
- Demonstrated satisfactory work performance and attendance history.
All applications must be submitted by no later than 4:00 p.m. of the posting deadline date.
Sinai Health is committed to fostering a culture and environment that is safe, caring, equitable, compassionate and accountable in order to provide optimal care to patients and their family caregivers. As such, all employees will follow safe work practices and comply with the roles and responsibilities that are outlined with respect to health and safety policies, procedures and training. In accordance with Sinai Health policy and legislated health and safety requirements, employment is conditional upon the verification of credentials, completion of a health review, and demonstrating proof of immunity and vaccination status of vaccine-preventable diseases.
Sinai Health is a scent sensitive environment and all members of the community are expected to refrain from wearing or using scented products while visiting or working at any Sinai Health site. We also support a barrier-free workplace supported by Sinai Health’s accessibility plan, accommodation and disability management policies and procedures. Should you require accommodation at any point during the recruitment process, including accessible job postings, please call the Accommodation Phone Line at 416-586-4800 ext. 7050 or email HiringProcessAccommodation.firstname.lastname@example.org