Job DetailsStudent Vector-Borne Disease Seasonal Field Positions (Posting #VBDSTU-0120-06)
The Middlesex-London Health Unit has an opportunity for motivated, self-directed students to work on the Vector-Borne Disease (VBD) Team within the Environmental Health and Infectious Diseases Division. Reporting to the Manager, Safe Water, Rabies and Vector Borne Disease, the students will complete field training and focus on West Nile Virus, and Lyme Disease prevention and control strategies. Temporary full-time positions are available commencing on April 27, 2020 to August 28, 2020. The hourly rate will be $19.67 per hour (plus 4% vacation pay) for a 35-hour work week.
• Identifying and mapping of potential mosquito breeding sites and tick habitats throughout Middlesex County
• Assisting with the surveillance and identification of ticks;
• Mosquito larvae sampling at specified sites and assisting with the identification of larval and adult mosquito species;
• Obtaining a Mosquito/Biting-fly License and assisting in the larvaciding of mosquito breeding sites in smaller surface water areas, enhancing the control program already in place as required;
• Analyzing, entering, and interpreting data;
• Preparing progress updates and assisting with the writing and editing of the annual VBD Surface Water report;
• Participating in community public education events related personal mosquito and tick protection;
• Liaising with other community partners in VBD prevention strategies; and,
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Candidates must be enrolled in an Entomology, Biology, Public Health Inspector, Environmental/Health Sciences or a related program from a recognized University or College. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Excellent computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office programs.
• Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision and possess strong communication, written, and organizational skills.
• Successful candidates must possess a valid Class “G” driver’s licence and have regular access to a vehicle for work-related purposes.
• Must be returning to school in September 2020.
• Must have a current and valid Police Vulnerable Sector Check.
• Experience in outdoor field work will be considered an asset.
• Communication proficiency (written and verbal) in French and/or any other languages is highly desirable.
• Candidates must be available during reading week (February 18, 2020 to February 21, 2020) for interviews.
Further information about the programs and services offered by the Middlesex-London Health Unit is available at www.healthunit.com.
To apply to this position, please submit all applications electronically through our Career Opportunities page at www.healthunit.com by January 22, 2020 quoting posting number # VBDSTU-0120-06
Information concerning applicants is collected under the authority of the Health Protection & Promotion Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H-7, as amended, and will be used to consider suitability for employment. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Health Unit is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Accommodations are available, upon request, to support potential applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. Should you require accommodation, please contact our Human Resources Department at 519-663-5317, extension 2512.