Patient Support Assistant, Medicine/Oncology (1) Part time Temporary (Until approx. Oct 2020) - Markham site
- Tracking Code
- Job Description
Who we are:
Markham Stouffville Hospital is a large community hospital with two sites – Markham and Uxbridge and our new Reactivation Care centre (RCC) that has a reputation for excellence in progressive community care. The hospital is uniquely positioned with cutting edge technology, expansive new facilities and a supportive and welcoming community. With a focus on patient experience, safe, high quality care and innovation, our dedicated team of physicians, staff and volunteers provides care to over 300,000 patients a year. The hospital has capacity to grow a number of programs and services as we evolve to meet the needs of our growing community. We are dedicated to providing access to the right care, at the right time, in the right place by the right people and at the right cost. Are you ready to join us?
Who you are:
You are an innovative and patient centered individual who provides excellence within their profession
You are a team player with excellent communication, critical thinking and customer service skills
You have vision, flexibility, transparency, honesty and practicality
You are organized, accurate, able to multi task and meet deadlines
You support the patient experience, your colleagues and others cultural and spiritual beliefs
You encompass MSH’s core values and live the words of Respect, Trust, Commitment, Compassion and Courage
What we need:
As a patient support assistant, you will work in partnership with the RN and RPN to provide patient care and will become an integral member of the interprofessional team. The focus is on quality and patient/family centred care with a strong emphasis on customer satisfaction.
The responsibilities include assisting the patient with the basic activities of daily living, e.g. bathing, nutrition, positioning and ambulation. In addition, you will be responsible for non-patient care support duties including stocking treatment areas and carts, maintaining linen supplies and the cleanliness of the patient rooms (for admission and discharge), utility rooms, nursing station, tub and shower rooms and patient care equipment. As an effective team member you will utilize your strong communication skills and be actively involved in quality management initiatives.
The successful candidates will rotate through 12 hour day and evening shifts. The shifts will be 0600-1800 and 0900-2100. Please note schedules may change due to operational needs.
- Frequent moderate and heavy exertion (e.g. pushing stretchers, wheelchairs, etc.)
- Lifting over 60 lbs.
$21.22 - $23.17
What you bring to MSH:
- Completion of a recognized personal support worker certificate or health care aide program from a community college or equivalent education
- Current BCLS certification is an asset
- Previous related experience, preferably in oncology or palliative
- Proficient computer skills
- Knowledge of universal precautions and medical terminology an asset
- Strong customer service, interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and as part of an interprofessional team
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize workload
- Demonstrated good attendance and performance records with the ability to maintain these same standards
- Demonstrates a commitment to a healthy and safe workplace for self and others (staff, patients, families, etc.) by taking all reasonable precautions and working in compliance with hospital related policies, health and safety legislation and best practices and completing relevant mandatory education as required
Markham Stouffville Hospital is committed to meeting the needs of all individuals in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should you require accommodations during the recruitment and selection process, please contact Human Resources.
- Job Location
- Markham, Ontario, Canada