Nurse Practitioner, Stroke - Full time - Markham Site
- Tracking Code
- Job Description
Who we are:
Markham Stouffville Hospital is a large community hospital with three sites – Markham and Uxbridge and our new Reactivation Care Centre that has a reputation for excellence in progressive community care. The hospital is uniquely positioned with cutting edge technology, expansive new facilities and a supportive and welcoming community. With a focus on patient experience, safe, high quality care and innovation, our dedicated team of physicians, staff and volunteers provides care to over 300,000 patients a year. The hospital has capacity to grow a number of programs and services as we evolve to meet the needs of our growing community. We are dedicated to providing access to the right care, at the right time, in the right place by the right people and at the right cost. Are you ready to join us?
What we need:
The Nurse Practitioner (NP) for Stroke supports the vision, strategic direction, leadership, operational management and clinical practices at Markham-Stouffville Hospital.
The Stroke NP will work to full scope to practice within the interprofessional team model. S/he will primarily be responsible for inpatient and outpatient stroke consultation and management in a consultative/collaborative model as well as participation in staff education and research, program planning and evaluation.
The NP provides patient care in accordance with legislative acts and frameworks guiding NP practice such as those from the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO), the Regulated Health Professionals Act (RHPA), the Public Hospitals Act, the Nursing Act and established medical directives. The NP will demonstrate competency to autonomously assess, diagnose, order and interpret diagnostic tests, prescribe pharmaceuticals, evaluate outcomes and perform procedures within the RN(EC) legislated scope of practice and designated medical directives, as appropriate.
Who you are:
You are an innovative and patient centered individual who provides excellence within their profession
You are a team player with excellent communication, critical thinking and customer service skills
You have vision, flexibility, transparency, honesty and practicality
You are organized, accurate, able to multi task and meet deadlines
You support the patient experience, your colleagues and others cultural and spiritual beliefs
You are able to work fully within a digital electronic patient care record
The successful candidate will work primarily days and evenings – 7.5 and 11.25 hour shifts. Please note schedule may change due to operational needs.
$50.06 - $62.61 per hour
What you bring to MSH:
- Master’s Degree in Nursing
- Current certificate of competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario as an RN(EC) - Nurse Practitioner or Nurse Practitioner-Adult (NP-Adult)
- Authority to prescribe controlled substances in Ontario
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years of current stroke expertise preferred
- Minimum of 3-5 years of acute medicine an asset
- Prior stroke or acute care nurse practitioner expertise preferred
- Excellent decision making, problem recognition and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing professional development
- Advanced clinical knowledge and experience in the implementation and evaluation of evidence-based practice for the management of acute stroke and follow up
- Canadian Nurses Association certification in Critical Care Nursing – preferred
- Membership in the Nurse Practitioner Association of Ontario
- Membership in the Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario - preferred
- Superior interpersonal, coaching, and leadership skills
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office - IMPAX, Meditech - preferred
- Demonstrated excellent attendance record with the ability to maintain this same standard
- Demonstrates a commitment to a healthy and safe workplace for self and others by taking all reasonable precautions and working in compliance with hospital related policies, health and safety legislation and completing mandated training as required
Markham Stouffville Hospital is committed to meeting the needs of all individuals in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should you require accommodations during the recruitment and selection process, please contact Human Resources.
- Job Location
- Markham, Ontario, Canada