Health Information Coder (CUPE) - Full-Time - Markham Site
- Tracking Code
- Job Description
Who we are
Markham Stouffville Hospital is a large community hospital with two sites – Markham and Uxbridge that has a reputation for excellence in progressive community care. The hospital is uniquely positioned with cutting edge technology, expansive new facilities and a supportive and welcoming community. With a focus on patient experience, safe, high quality care and innovation, our dedicated team of physicians, staff and volunteers provides care to over 300,000 patients a year. The hospital has capacity to grow a number of programs and services as we evolve to meet the needs of our growing community. We are dedicated to providing access to the right care, at the right time, in the right place by the right people and at the right cost. Are you ready to join us?
What we need:
As part of the Health Information Team, Health Information Coders are responsible for accurate and timely coding and abstracting of health information for the Hospital’s acute inpatient discharges (DAD) and ambulatory visits (NACRS) from the electronic patient charts as per the requirements by CIHI, Ontario Ministry of Health, the Hospital and other governing agencies. Active involvement in data quality and continuous improvement initiatives in coding and abstracting practices are required, as well as providing support to the Release of Information and other support duties as required.
Who you are:
You are an innovative and patient centered individual who provides excellence within their profession
You are a team player with excellent communication, critical thinking and customer service skills
You have vision, flexibility, transparency, honesty and practicality
You are organized, accurate, able to multi task and meet deadlines
You support the patient experience, your colleagues and others cultural and spiritual beliefs
The current work schedule is primarily Monday to Friday, working on site, with the flexibility to work from home. Please note work schedules may change based on departmental needs.
BAND R: $26.59 - 31.76 per hour
What you bring to MSH:
- Completion of an approved health information management program with eligibility for current CHIMA membership
- Proven knowledge of ICD-10/CCI, CIHI Coding and Abstracting Standards, CMG, CACS, HIG grouping methodologies and MIS Functional Centres
- Minimum of 3 years in an acute hospital DAD/NACRS coding and abstracting
- Equivalent of one year (full time hours) inpatient coding experience required
- Proven knowledge of Ontario Hospital Funding Reform including HBAM and QBP
- Demonstrated attention to detail with high level of accuracy and data quality
- Proven knowledge of medical terminology, pharmacology, anatomy, physiology and pathology
- Proven ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment both independently and within a team, exercising sound judgment
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Previous experience with Med2020, Meditech and online documentation is an asset
- Excellent computer skills with working knowledge of MS Office Suite
- Demonstrated good attendance and performance records with the ability to maintain these same standards
- Demonstrated commitment to a healthy and safe workplace for self and others (staff, patients, families, etc.) by taking all reasonable precautions and working in compliance with hospital related policies, health and safety legislation and best practices and completing relevant mandatory education as required
Markham Stouffville Hospital is committed to meeting the needs of all individuals in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should you require accommodations during the recruitment and selection process, please contact Human Resources.
- Job Location
- Markham, Ontario, Canada