Occupational Health and Safety Consultant
Permanent Full Time
There’s never been a better time to join Mackenzie Health! As we prepare to open our state-of-the-art Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital, and continue to operate Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital, we have many opportunities available for staff who share our commitment to quality, patient-centred care. Ultimately, this is where you want to be.
The incumbent will support the development and implementation of a Health and Safety Program compliant with health and safety legislation and standards. The incumbent works closely with members of the Management team, providing advice and recommendations related to occupational health and safety matters that arise in an acute care environment. The incumbent is to maintain and support all Safety Programs, coordinate the activities related to hazard and risk assessment, develop control measures, develop/deliver educational materials, review polices/procedures. Additional responsibilities include, and are not limited to, participation in Joint Health and Safety Committee activities, ongoing projects, arranging for third party consultations, reviewing their reports and implementing related recommendations, delivering orientation for new hires, investigating workplace injuries/incidents and providing of appropriate recommendations to the manager to improve safety, reduce the organization’s WSIB costs.
What must you have?
- A university degree in Occupational Health and Safety or equivalent required.
What else do you bring?
- Proven knowledge of health and safety legislation, standards and guidelines.
- A minimum of one year of experience in the field of occupational health and safety within a unionized environment in acute health care required.
- Experience in developing and delivering training on health and safety topics.
- Advanced proficiency in collecting, presenting and analyzing incident data/trends.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, for the purpose of drafting reports and explaining health and safety concepts.
- Proven attendance record.
- Demonstrates understanding and complies with patient and staff safety policies and procedures that foster a safe and inclusive environment for all.
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the job.
- Effectively uses empathy in interactions with others and demonstrates behaviours consistent with Mackenzie Health’s Commitment to Caring.
- Models behaviour that is aligned with the values of Mackenzie Health – Excellence, Leadership and Empathy.
- Commitment to providing an exceptional experience for staff and clients within a challenging and exciting health care environment.
Preferably, your profile also includes:
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional Designation, or in progress is an asset.
- Experience in performing inspections, industrial hygiene/ergonomic assessments and physical demands analysis is an asset.
You may be required to work at any site of Mackenzie Health