Humber River Hospital is committed to revolutionizing patient care for our diverse community. At our new facility, North America’s first fully digital hospital, the future is very exciting for our people
and programs. And we’re looking for exceptional individuals to join our great team: people who share our passion to deliver excellent, patient-focused, expert care. The Hospital is formally affiliated with both the University of Toronto and Queen’s University.
As an integral team member of the Nephrology Program, there is an opportunity to participate within the Program by utilizing a chronic disease prevention and management (CDPM) and self-management approach and philosophy, as the Program continues to achieve the deliverables under the Ontario Renal Network, and strives to achieve the targets of the Ontario Renal Plan II:
- Empower and support patients to be active in their care
- Integrate patient care throughout the kidney care journey
- Improve patient access to kidney care
Right now we are looking for a Registered Nurse to work with our Haemodialysis Unit.
Reporting Relationship: Manager, Haemodialysis
Hiring Salary Range: $33.23 - $47.57
Hours of work: Must be available to work rotating 8 & 12 hour shifts, Days/Evenings/Weekends/On-Call Rotation.
- All aspects of care for patients receiving hemodialysis with a primary nursing focus
- Provision of acute hemodialysis treatment on inpatient units, ICU, ER
- Participation in on call rotation for provision of acute hemodialysis treatment
- Providing education and follow-up to all hemodialysis patients
- Providing primary care to assigned patient that includes but not limited to ensuring plan of care is developed in collaboration with multidisciplinary team, updated and communicated with team in a timely manner
- Current RN registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- BCLS certification upon hire to show proof of valid current certification (Registered Nurses currently employed by HRH are exempted).
- BScN preferred
- Minimum two year acute Medical / Surgical experience, required.
- Minimum two years recent Hemodialysis experience is required.
- Nephrology courses 1 to 4 completed or commitment to complete within an agreed period of time.
- Certification in Nephrology an asset or commitment to complete within an agreed period of time
- Patient assessment course and demonstrated good patient assessment skills
- Experience in peritoneal dialysis an asset
- Demonstrated good interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to work with a multidisciplinary team, including other health team members, patients, family members and visitors
- Demonstrated good patient/family teaching skills
- Ability to prioritize and complete assignments in a reasonable length of time:
- Demonstrated sound judgement, good observation and patient assessment skills, tact and empathy;
- Demonstrated ability to perform appropriately in emergency situations;
- Proven ability to perform a leadership/preceptorship role;
- Physically capable of performing the essential duties of the position;
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to Humber’s comprehensive safety programs and practices, including staff patient, and environmental safety, and participation in regular in-service education in this area; and
- Ability to be flexible and effectively work in a busy environment with changing priorities and tight deadlines
- Demonstrated initiative in improving work skills and processes
- Demonstrate competency in a variety of skills including (but not limited to), intramuscular injections, intravenous therapy initiation and discontinuation, blood transfusion, wound care dressing, medication administration, etc.
- Demonstrated proficiency in initiating I.V therapy, I.V push meds and venipuncture
- Basic computer skills and Meditech experience is an asset
- Knowledge of a second language as asset
- On call duties as assigned
- Excellent attendance and discipline free record required.
Location: Humber River Hospital – Wilson Site
Why Humber? Why Now?
Humber River Hospital is on an exciting transformation journey of redefining patient care as we leverage the most advanced technologies to enhance all aspects of delivering high-quality, safe care. We continue to build a people-centered workplace with excellent staff and physician engagement by hiring passionate, diverse and inclusive healthcare professionals. People who care and live our values of Compassion, Professionalism and Respect. People who are committed to making a positive difference.
We are a Studer Group hospital, focused on building our evidence-based leadership practice and hardwiring a culture that WOWs.
Why? Because at Humber River Hospital, we know it’s our people and our ability to innovate that allows us to consistently deliver a great patient experience and the best quality outcomes. After all, we are the hospital that believes exceptional care...healthier community.
This description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by the employee within this position. However, the actual responsibilities, duties, qualifications and experience may vary. Employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Information contained in this job posting/description is subject to change.
Humber River Hospital is committed to inclusion and diversity. We believe that diversity drives our culture of innovation. By bringing together a variety of different perspectives, it fuels our creative thinking, generates new ideas and creates solutions designed to address tomorrow’s healthcare challenges today. We take pride in providing professional development and career advancement opportunities for our employees including minorities, women, veterans and individuals with physical and developmental disabilities. We also provide accommodation to applicants and all of our employees - from hire to retire.
Let us know what we can do to help you be successful during your recruitment experience at Humber River Hospital.