Please note: The status for the prosthetic resident will be Temporary Full Time 2-year contract. On such case, and bound by the Scope of Practice established by Orthotics Prosthetics Canada (OPC) the prosthetic resident will perform clinical assessment and patient management tasks under the close supervision of a CBCPO-certified Prosthetist in good standing. Compensation will be 90 and 95% of minimum for 1st and 2nd year respectively.
- Evaluate prosthetic needs and requirements of clients (both children and adults)
- Present opinions and rationale to clients/families and team members
- Responsible for the design, fabrication and fitting of upper and lower extremity prostheses
- Able to completely carry out all relevant processes to providing prosthetic management under the supervision of the Certified Prosthetist as needed
- Provide direction to prosthetic technical staff
- Determine most effective prosthetic treatment plan, prescription, assess fit of the prosthesis and adjust as needed
- Evaluate gait and assure functional needs of the clients are met
- Provide education and instruction to the client regarding the proper care of the prosthesis and skin
- Initiate cost estimates for the payment of prosthetic devices from ADP and other paying/funding agencies
- Document the rehabilitative/habilitative process in accordance with Holland Bloorview policies and guidelines
- Provide education to students, visitors and interest groups
- Participate in research activities undergoing in the Orthotics and Prosthetics Department
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. There may be additional duties assigned as required
- Graduate of a recognized Orthotics Prosthetics Canada (OPC) school
- Board eligible 1st or 2nd year Prosthetic Resident
- Ability to design and fabricate custom or one-of-a-kind devices
- Proven ability to effectively address sensitive/complex issues with clients and families
- Skills related to clinical and technical aspects of prosthetic design and manufacture
- Understand Family Centered Care service delivery model
- Ability to work well under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Working knowledge of latest prosthetic advancements and technological developments in the field
- Experience working with children preferred
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a multidisciplinary and diverse team
- Strong and effective organizational, interpersonal, problem-solving and time-management skills
- Promote implementation of the highest quality control standards, latest technological developments and evidence-based practices in the field to improve quality of life of clients
- English language skills required to effectively communicate with colleagues and members of the public
- Report writing, basic computer skills
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines while ensuring quality of prosthetic services/products
Holland Bloorview has won numerous awards including Greater Toronto’s Top Employers, Canada’s Top Employers for Young People and Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures. We offer an inspiring, innovative, and collaborative work environment with competitive compensation and benefit packages and programs that support ongoing learning and professional growth.
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital is a fully affiliated teaching hospital of the University of Toronto and is committed to fostering a climate of equity and diversity and welcomes and respects the diversity of our clients, families, staff, trainees, volunteers, trustees and partners. As part of our commitment to fair and equitable recruitment and selection practices, we encourage applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas within our community.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their application by pressing the "Apply" button near the top of this page. Should you require accommodation during any stage in the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 416-425-6220.
This position is currently accepting applications.