Aquatics - Swim Instructor & Lifeguard
Introduction: Swimming instructor/Lifeguards at Holland Bloorview support our mission to teach water safety skills to children, youth and adults who do and do not have disabilities in a fully integrated setting. Additionally, they provide leadership and supervision for our non-instructional and recreational aquatic programs.
Various afterschool and weekend shifts available. A minimum of 4.0 hours per week required.
As a Lifeguard, you will be responsible for:
• Monitoring instructional and recreational swimming activities, including: patrolling the pool deck and scanning the water, as well as monitoring patrons and volunteers to ensure a safe swim environment
• Carrying an aid at all times, performing emergency rescues to the standard of your certifications, responding to patron inquiries, resolving problems, and performing associated public education duties
• Setting up the pool deck prior to your shift & cleaning the deck following your shift
• Attendance at all scheduled staff training
• Recording all hours worked
• Keeping all awards current
• Performing other duties as assigned
• A successful candidate for the position of Lifeguard must also be a certified Swimming Instructor
As a Swimming Instructor, you will be responsible for the items mentioned in the Lifeguard position
(above), in addition to:
• Instructing assigned Red Cross aquatic programs to standard
• Responding to parent and participant questions promptly, courteously and thoroughly
• Committing to teach the entire session of lessons
• Providing your supervisor with a detailed lesson plan for each class
• Writing, proofing and correcting report cards for all of your lesson participants
• A successful candidate for the position of Swimming Instructor must also be a certified Lifeguard
As a Swimming Instructor & Lifeguard, the minimum qualifications are:
• Minimum 18 years of age
• Previous experience teaching swimming lessons (min. 1 year)
• Red Cross or Lifesaving Society Instructor (for LSS Instructors, a transfer to Red Cross is required. Support for this is provided)
• Standard First Aid with CPR Level C
• National Lifeguard Service
• Successful candidates will be required to provide a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check
Instructor rate: $19.19 per hour ($18.46 per hour + 4% pay in lieu of vacation)
Lifeguard rate: $16.80 per hour ($16.16 per hour + 4% pay in lieu of vacation)
Holland Bloorview has won numerous awards including Greater Toronto’s Top Employers, Canada’s Top Employers for Young People and Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures. We offer an inspiring, innovative, and collaborative work environment with competitive compensation and benefit packages and programs that support ongoing learning and professional growth.
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital is a fully affiliated teaching hospital of the University of Toronto and is committed to fostering a climate of equity and diversity and welcomes and respects the diversity of our clients, families, staff, trainees, volunteers, trustees and partners. As part of our commitment to fair and equitable recruitment and selection practices, we encourage applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas within our community.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their application by pressing the "Apply" button near the top of this page. Should you require accommodation during any stage in the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 416-425-6220.
This position is currently accepting applications.