Road Operations Technologist
Waste Management & Road Operations
Road Operations Technologist
At the Region of Halton, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. The Region of Halton is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
This is a permanent full-time position working 35 hours per week.
This position is responsible for ensuring that Halton’s road system continues to operate at appropriate levels of service and will assist in maintaining the network in a state of good repair. This position will provide customer-focused services to internal and external clients on matters relating to traffic operations, maintenance and road-related infrastructure.
The ideal candidate will possess a diploma in Civil, Construction or Transportation Engineering with a minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience. The successful candidate must have strong practical knowledge in Civil Engineering principles, Practices of Road Maintenance / Traffic Engineering along with comprehensive knowledge of the OPS Standards, TAC Geometric Design Guide, Ontario Traffic Manual (OTM) and Highway Traffic Act (HTA). Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office, databases and GIS applications are required. Registration or eligibility for registration in The Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) is required. Strong analytical, organizational, time management, project management and critical problem solving skills are required along with strong customer service skills and a commitment to quality and compliance. Proficiency in the use of Hansen, Siebel, and experience with Route Patrol Manager is an asset. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
The successful applicant will be required to occasionally work outside of Halton’s core work hours, may be required to participate as a staff member of after-hours standby and must supply their own transportation at times to travel between locations within Halton Region while possessing and maintaining a valid class ‘G’ driver’s license.
· Assist with Road Capital, Acoustic / Retaining Wall, Bridge / Culvert asset management programs.
· Conduct reviews, comment and potentially Inspect permit applications (Oversize, Excavation, Road Occupancy and Special Event).
· Respond to issues such as general road operations, traffic management plan submissions and day to day issues related to the Regional storm sewer system.
· Coordinate and oversee Annual Pavement marking relining contract.
· Coordinate installation, maintenance and annual invoicing of (TODS) Tourist-Oriented Directional Signing.
· Coordinate working groups, reviews, field investigations and responses pertaining to special event applications (Cycling, Running, Parades).
· Participate in traffic operational and safety assessments (operations & collision analysis) to improve safety and efficiency of new and existing Regional Roads.
· Prepare road operations related memos and reports for Senior Management / Council.
· Assist with the management of the Route Patrol manager system.
· Assist with Road Patrol in order to comply with Minimal Maintenance Standards for Municipal Highways (regulation 239/02)
· Assist with the deployment of Halton owned Variable Message Sign boards (VMS) as required.
· Coordinate with multi-disciplinary teams that undertake internal and external projects.
· Prepare bid reports and or change orders for relevant projects.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
December 21, 2018
January 13, 2019
Halton Region contacts applicants via email and/or phone. Please ensure the contact information provided on your resume is up to date and that you check your email and voicemail regularly.
Halton Region is pleased to accommodate applicants who have a disability. Please inform Human Resource Services at 905-825-6000 ext. 7700 if you require a disability related accommodation to participate in the recruitment process.
NOTE: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
Halton Job Postings
How to Apply?Click on Apply Now to submit your cover letter and resume for a specific posting.
NOTE: Applications that are not submitted online will not be considered. Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.Apply for this job