Director, Healthy Schools & Communities
Healthy Schools & Communities
Director, Healthy Schools & Communities
At the Region of Halton, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. The Region of Halton is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
This is a permanent full time position working 35 hours per week.
Reporting to the Commissioner and Medical Officer of Health this role is responsible for the efficient, cost-effective and customer-focused delivery of programs within the Healthy Schools and Communities division.
This role requires superior management and leadership abilities to oversee and provide direction to a division of professionals whose programs areas encompass school health promotion, oral health, immunization as well as surveillance and evaluation across the Health Department. The incumbent must have an in-depth knowledge and understanding of health issues in public health; knowledge of related legislation including Health Promotion and Protection Act and the Immunization of School Pupils Act, knowledge of the modernized Ontario Public Health Standards and in-depth knowledge of a broad range of health programs for health promotion and prevention, treatment, and experience navigating changes in government legislation and directives. The successful incumbent will possess experience in progressively responsible senior management roles in a public health setting. Experience related to management in a unionized environment is preferred. Experience in a municipal environment is preferred. A Masters degree in a relevant field is preferred. Well established decision-making abilities, experience in program design, development, implementation and evaluation is required along with a high degree of political acuity to address issues raised by the public, along with the ability to engage internal and external stakeholders including all levels of management and front-line staff. Required skills include superb problem solving, analytical and decision-making skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills, and interpersonal skills. Importance will be placed on the ability to build and maintain relationships both internally and externally (e.g. community physicians, school boards, MOHLTC, municipal government), and develop a collaborative environment.
Travel will be required, incumbent must provide their own transportation. The incumbent will be required to provide a copy of their driver’s license by their first day of employment.
- Responsible for providing leadership, direction and innovation in the planning, organizing, control and cost effective delivery of services.
- Responsible for the development, implementation and management of strategic plans, operational plans, budgets for the Division.
- Ensures the requirements under the Ontario Public Health Standards for the Division are met.
- Responsible for developing a culture of collaboration, teamwork and trust in the Division and the Department as a whole.
- Contributes as a team member to the senior leadership team of the Health Department.
- Proactively addresses emerging issues and trends related to best practices, policies, legislation and standards.
- Provides representation and leadership to various internal and external committees relevant to the Division’s area of work.
- Provides recommendations to the Commissioner and Medical Officer of Health related to policies, plans and the resolution of key issues from the Division.
- Acts as a resource for questions related to Healthy Schools and Communities division programs by public, employees, government and media.
- Oversees issues of risk management and continuous quality improvement for the Division.
March 18, 2019
March, 25, 2019
Apply Online at: Halton Job Postings
If selected for an interview, you will be contacted by email and/or phone. Please ensure the contact information provided on your resume is up to date and that you check your email and voicemail regularly.
NOTE: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
How to Apply?Click on Apply Now to submit your cover letter and resume for a specific posting.
NOTE: Applications that are not submitted online will not be considered. Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.Apply for this job