Cook (Production Kitchen)
Social & Community Services
Services for Seniors – Allendale (Milton)
Cook (Production Kitchen)
$23.09 - $24.43 per hour (OPSEU 261)
Applicants will be considered for interviews based on the information provided in their application to the Region of Halton including a current resume and cover letter. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration will be contacted. ONLY online submissions will be considered.
At the Region of Halton, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. The Region of Halton is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
This posting is for future part-time or casual employment opportunities. Please specify which long term care home(s) you wish to be considered for.
The successful candidate must have Chef training or culinary management diploma or certificate granted by a recognized college and a certificate of qualification as Cook or a post-secondary diploma in food and nutrition management or a post-secondary Degree in Food and Nutrition is required with current Food Handler Certification. In addition, a minimum of two years’ experience is required in quantity food preparation. Must have the ability to operate quantity food production equipment, organize and maintain all food production records and procedures. Strong teamwork, organizational, and customer service skills are required. Must have an understanding of the Residents’ Bill of Rights and Compliance Standards as set out by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care. Must have the ability to maintain all food production and purchasing records and demonstrated ability to use MS Office software applications.Knowledge of cook chill food production and experience working with nutritional management software and CBORD Food Service Suite software are assets.
You make a positive difference in people’s lives because you provide high quality customer centered services. You operate within a highly ethical environment and you will be accountable for going the extra mile, listening to your customers, creatively meeting needs, and always being respectful to those you serve. As a result, you will be part of a qualified and strategic team recognized widely for caring, excellence, integrity, inclusiveness and flexibility.
The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on condition that the Regional Municipality of Halton receives a current (obtained within the past six (6) months), original and acceptable Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Screen and a current two-step tuberculosis test (obtained within the past twelve (12) months) by your first day of employment. Physical requirements include lifting, pushing and pulling. Flexibility in work schedule including every other weekend is required.
- Completes food purchasing for the production kitchen with emphasis on budget, food quality, safety and waste.
- Prepares and handles food according to standardized recipes, ensuring food quality, safety and quantity.
- Safely and efficiently chills cooked chilled product so that production is completed in a timely manner.
- Maintains a clean and safe environment to ensure fellow employees, residents and outside clients stay healthy and injury free.
- Checks ingredient quality throughout the receiving and the production of food.
- Follows best practices for receiving goods, food storage and food safety.
- Documents all information required to assess food temperature chill time and food quality.
- Ensures that all products are labeled with appropriate expiry date.
- Prioritizes and co-ordinates duties with other team members to ensure that all product is produced and chilled as per chill schedule.
- Reports to the team and Supervisor any quality issues or perceived quality issues in a timely manner, ensure resolution and appropriate follow-up.
- Completes inventory. Keeps stock to a minimum and implements stock rotation.
- Organizes deliveries and follows through with product issues that arise with suppliers.
- Weighs up standardized recipe items.
- Participates with the team in development of new recipes and products.
- Demonstrates respect for clients and fellow employees in all matters.
- Promotes teamwork by providing input to the decision-making process governing day-to-day operations, thus preventing delays in providing quality service and products to Villages of Halton residents and off-site clients.
- Acts in the role of lead hand during Supervisor’s absence.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
January 22, 2019
December 31, 2019
Halton Region contacts applicants via email and/or phone. Please ensure the contact information provided on your resume is up to date and that you check your email and voicemail regularly.
NOTE: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
Halton Job Postings
How to Apply?Click on Apply Now to submit your cover letter and resume for a specific posting.
NOTE: Applications that are not submitted online will not be considered. Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.Apply for this job