Offering person-centred care to patients suffering from neurocognitive disorders, the RPN promotes healing and instills hope while demonstrating the values of the Mental Health and Addictions Program.
The RPN provides psychiatric and mental health nursing care and engages clients in activities designed to help promote function and independence. . Nursing care is provided in accordance with the Canadian Standards of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing (CNA). This rotating position requires that the RPN work as a member of an intraprofessional clinical team.
Contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
• Registered Practical Nurse with certificate of competence with College of Nurses of Ontario
• Three years’ experience in psychiatric or geriatric nursing preferred
• Experience in working collaboratively in multidisciplinary setting
• Heart Saver and de-escalation certificates (current)
• Recognized medication course
• GPA and PIECES training preferred
• Knowledge of mental illness, suicidal behaviours and current mental health practices and treatment modalities
• Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
• Using preset standards and protocols within their RPN scope of practice, provides assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation of individuals with psychiatric/mental health disorders
• Working knowledge of the Mental Health Act, Health Care Consent Act and Substitute Decisions Act
• Excellent patient teaching skills
• Application of Family Systems Nursing in the provision of direct patient family care
• Good attendance record