Georgian delivers powerful ways to accelerate your career, success and future. Our commitment to being an active agent of growth extends not only to our students, graduates communities and industry - but also to our employees. Named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers seven times and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers five years in a row, it’s no wonder we’ve cultivated a reputation for being a leading, innovative and inspiring workplace. You may apply to work at Georgian for the chance to excel in a rewarding profession, but you’ll choose to stay because of our exceptional culture, collaborative team environment, opportunity for growth and development, and the chance to make a difference in the lives of students.
Working in collaboration with the First Year Experience and Transition Officer and reporting to the Manager, Student Leadership and Transition Programs, the Peer Mentor Liaison will coordinate the Peer Mentor program at the Barrie campus and will also support Peer Mentor programs at other campus locations. Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Administer the Peer Mentor intake process as well as the Mentee application process
- Assess and review Mentee applications and match Mentee with appropriate Mentor
- Monitor Peer Mentor and Mentee participation and progress to ensure compliance with program policies and procedures
- In collaboration with the First Year Experience and Transition Officer, co-facilitate training throughout the academic year on topics such as: communication skills, assertiveness, conflict resolution, empathy, diversity and inclusion, strategies for engaging different types of learners including students with learning disabilities, etc.
- Coordinates Mentor and Mentee schedules when needed (i.e. facilitate initial meetings)
- Monitors program engagement to ensure program quality, consistency and accountability
- Tracks and forecasts service delivery trends, and prepares program service reports as necessary
- Presents information on Peer Mentoring and student development to College community, Faculty, staff and community members as needed
- Facilitates debrief and progress sessions (one to one and group) with Mentors
- Provides assistance with problem-solving between Mentors and Mentees
- Maintains confidential assessments, relevant statistical data and required tracking/reporting information
- Maintains and updates Peer Mentor database to track various contact appointments, usage of mentoring services and student engagement
- Visits other campuses to provide support to their Peer Mentors and ensure alignment of program delivery objectives and goals
- Actively promotes and markets the Peer Mentor program through various means: Orientation, booths, information days, open houses etc.
- Continually reviews Peer Mentoring policies, procedures and delivery methods and recommends changes to meet the needs of students and the college
- Promotes and publicizes Peer Mentor programs, and develops informational materials to publicize services and events
- Other duties as assigned
- Successfully completed a two-year postsecondary diploma in a relevant field of study that may include, but is not limited to business or human services
- One year of experience in a postsecondary environment supporting, mentoring and providing front-line service to a diverse student population
- SafeTALK training, mental health first aid and ASIST certifications considered an asset
- Experience developing presentation material
- Awareness of programs, resources, and services Georgian College offers, including the First Year Experience and Transition programs
- Demonstrated knowledge and efficiency using the Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.)
- Strong social media skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Must be able to travel to other campuses
Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date.
Georgian College supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. Georgian College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and workplace. If you are contacted to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please advise the interview coordinator of any accommodations needed with respect to any materials or processes used to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. While we thank all applicants, only those contacted for an interview will be acknowledged.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process.
To be considered for this position, please visit our website at www.GeorgianCollege.ca and apply by navigating to About Georgian and then to Career Opportunities.