Georgian delivers powerful ways to accelerate your career, success and future. Our commitment to being an active agent of growth extends not only to our students, graduates communities and industry - but also to our employees. Named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers seven times and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers five years in a row, it’s no wonder we’ve cultivated a reputation for being a leading, innovative and inspiring workplace. You may apply to work at Georgian for the chance to excel in a rewarding profession, but you’ll choose to stay because of our exceptional culture, collaborative team environment, opportunity for growth and development, and the chance to make a difference in the lives of students.
Reporting to the Operations Manager the incumbent provides front-of-house service to the Barrie campus café (The First Class Café [TFC]) and the full-service restaurant / pub / catering service (The Last Class [TLC])). Leading by example the incumbent will ensure customer satisfaction, promote a strong team culture, and support our student staff in delivering high quality service. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provide on the floor hands-on leadership, support and functional guidance to student employees to ensure procedures are followed, and service times and food quality meet all necessary standards
- Provide orientation and training to student employees
- Assist with scheduling, which includes contacting staff to ensure adequate coverage based on volume of business and staff availability
- Maintain equipment by ensuring preventative and regular maintenance is completed
- Order products and ensure supply levels are maintained
- Provide input into menu development
- Complete closing/balancing transactions using the POS system, and ensure cash handling procedures are followed Review current processes and recommend changes/improvements to the operations as needed
- Demonstrate high level of customer service and quality standards
- Act as first point of contact for customer concerns to ensure high quality guest experience
- Complete necessary communication logs and recording of daily wastage
- Coordinate catering requests and ensure orders are prepared and delivered to customer satisfaction
- Other duties as assigned
Current enrolment in a postsecondary program, preferably in a hospitality/culinary field is an asset
SMART Serve certification is required on hire
Three years’ experience in a restaurant setting
Experience providing leadership, support and functional guidance to staff, preferably in a student-run facility
Catering experience considered an asset
Safe Food Handling Certificate considered an asset
Working knowledge of a POS system, preferably MICROS POS
Excellent interpersonal, customer service and communication (written/oral) skills
Self-directed with the ability to take initiative, work independently as well as within a team environment
Demonstrated organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize effectively in a fast paced deadline driven environment juggling multiple projects to ensure timelines are met
Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date.
Georgian College supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. Georgian College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and workplace. If you are contacted to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please advise the interview coordinator of any accommodations needed with respect to any materials or processes used to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. While we thank all applicants, only those contacted for an interview will be acknowledged.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process.
To be considered for this position, please visit our website at www.GeorgianCollege.ca and apply by navigating to About Georgian and then to Career Opportunities.