Georgian delivers powerful ways to accelerate your career, success and future. Our commitment to being an active agent of growth extends not only to our students, graduates communities and industry - but also to our employees. Named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers seven times and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers five years in a row, it’s no wonder we’ve cultivated a reputation for being a leading, innovative and inspiring workplace. You may apply to work at Georgian for the chance to excel in a rewarding profession, but you’ll choose to stay because of our exceptional culture, collaborative team environment, opportunity for growth and development, and the chance to make a difference in the lives of students.
The hours of work could vary according to the scheduling of courses for the students in the program and the incumbent will be required to work non-traditional hours.
Under the direction of the Clinical Placement Manager and in collaboration / consultation with the Faculty Leads, the incumbent provides students with appropriate learning experiences in health care settings, coordinates selection and scheduling of clients, monitors and supervises student practice, and provides input into the student evaluation process. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Providing students with appropriate learning experiences to assist them in meeting program practice course learning outcomes in their clinical experiences
- Selecting, and scheduling, clients for student care according to level and ability of student
- Providing orientation for students to the clinical placement site and respective Policies and Procedures
- Organizing and facilitating Electronic Medical Records training for staff and students
- Organizing practice and skills demonstrations (refresher/remediation) to reinforce applied pre-learned principles / theory with students
- Collaborating on and delivery of in-services to support professional development within the department
- Supervising and monitoring ongoing client care provided by the students
- Intervening with client care when required (if client condition suddenly changes and the student is unable or unprepared to handle the situation or deal with a complex medical crisis)
- Ensuring proper safety standards and procedures in a health care environment are being followed
- Providing students with clarification, guidance and feedback in practice related to nursing skills
- Providing input into the evaluation process on observed nursing skills by using established forms and evaluation tools to assess students’ clinical performance, and provide feedback to faculty on observed skills
- Building and maintaining relationships / linkages with placement sites as the on-site College representative at multiple clinical sites
- Resolving issues / concerns such as assignment conflicts or incident reports, and referring complex issues / concerns to the Clinical Placement Manager, Faculty Lead or Program Coordinator as needed
- A nursing diploma or a Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree (BScN)
- Must possess and maintain current registration, in good standing, as a Registered Nurse (RN) with the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO)
- Five years’ experience working as a Registered Practical Nurse or Registered Nurse in Medical / Surgical and/or Long Term Care Setting. .
- Experience in the clinical setting demonstrating nursing skills as well as providing feedback and support to students
- Computer skills and experience using the Microsoft Office Suite and with Electronic Medical Record software)
- Demonstrated knowledge of health and safety rules and regulations in a health care environment
- Interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills with the ability to handle requests and problems with diplomacy
- Ability to work independently and as an effective team member
- Organizational skills to prioritize tasks and meet multiple and conflicting deadlines which demonstrating a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to meet the physical requirements of the position by lifting over 44lbs to assist students to transfer or lift clients
- Mental Health and/or OB experience is considered an asset
- As a result of current government announcements, placement agency and regulatory body compliance with pandemic policies, guidelines and directives, successful applicants must be prepared to work solely for Georgian College until such time the restrictions for frontline healthcare workers to work in only one location is lifted
Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date.
Georgian College supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. Georgian College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and workplace. If you are contacted to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please advise the interview coordinator of any accommodations needed with respect to any materials or processes used to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. While we thank all applicants, only those contacted for an interview will be acknowledged.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process.
To be considered for this position, please visit our website at www.GeorgianCollege.ca and apply by navigating to About Georgian and then to Career Opportunities.