Georgian delivers powerful ways to accelerate your career, success and future. Our commitment to being an active agent of growth extends not only to our students, graduates communities and industry - but also to our employees. Named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers seven times and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers five years in a row, it’s no wonder we’ve cultivated a reputation for being a leading, innovative and inspiring workplace. You may apply to work at Georgian for the chance to excel in a rewarding profession, but you’ll choose to stay because of our exceptional culture, collaborative team environment, opportunity for growth and development, and the chance to make a difference in the lives of students.
- Providing leadership and supervision to the Accounting staff by determining work priorities / assignments
- Monitoring / maintaining effective performance management through regular evaluations of staff, determining training needs, and motivating
- Coordinating and managing the year-end process which includes preparing the year-end financial statements, and acting as primary contact for the auditors
- Managing the collection of college revenues, receivables, student tuition, student emergency loans, including the collection of delinquent payments
- Reviewing and authorizing payments and legal action required to collect outstanding accounts
- Supervising all banking and cash management activities
- Ensuring the college is compliant with applicable federal and provincial tax legislation, assisting in finding solutions to tax issues, and providing guidance to the senior team
- Managing the disbursement of special funds
- Managing aspects of the general ledger system
- Participating in the short / long term planning process for the direction and development of the college’s financial services
- Creating project plans for projects identified and provides functional guidance to IT staff who program the finance system
- Working closely with College departments to determine how business processes and systems be optimized using the financial system
- Providing direction and assistance to managers regarding finance system processes, reporting and system integration
- During the time when upgrades or changes to the system / process are necessary, the incumbent is responsible for working with the affected areas, designing training for the update, and ensuring that Finance, IT and any affected department are working cohesively
- Taking responsibility to monitor problems and issues with the financial system and determining if additional training or resources are required or reporting to ensure that problems do not affect the operation of the finance system
- Providing functional support for end users of the finance system
- Professional accounting designation Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA)
- Five years’ progressive work experience in a large institution where duties included preparation of financial statements, overseeing of financial systems, forecasting, resource allocation, business and quantitative analysis
- Experience in a supervisory / leadership role where duties included recruiting, monitoring, developing and motivating performance, providing guidance, and determining work priorities
- Experience with financial reporting systems, networks and reporting software (i.e. PeopleSoft and Cognos)
- Knowledge of standard business accounting principles and practices for non-profit organizations
- Computer skills with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.) and the internet to analyze and compile data, prepare working papers for external audits, and communicate with internal and external member of the college community
- Communication (written and oral), interpersonal, and conflict resolution sills to provide guidance to staff and address and resolve issues efficiently, with diplomacy and tact
- Project management skills to coordinate the year-end process and develop short and long term plans for the college’s financial services
- Problem solving, critical thinking and organizational skills to prioritize multiple tasks and meet conflicting deadlines
Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date.
Georgian College supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. Georgian College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and workplace. If you are contacted to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please advise the interview coordinator of any accommodations needed with respect to any materials or processes used to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. While we thank all applicants, only those contacted for an interview will be acknowledged.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process.
To be considered for this position, please visit our website at www.GeorgianCollege.ca and apply by navigating to About Georgian and then to Career Opportunities.