Georgian delivers powerful ways to accelerate your career, success and future. Our commitment to being an active agent of growth extends not only to our students, graduates, communities and industry - but also to our employees. Named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers seven times and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers five years in a row, it’s no wonder we’ve cultivated a reputation for being a leading, innovative and inspiring workplace. You may apply to work at Georgian for the chance to excel in a rewarding profession, but you’ll choose to stay because of our exceptional culture, collaborative team environment, opportunity for growth and development, and the chance to make a difference in the lives of students.
THIS IS A TEMPORARY REPLACEMENT POSITION FOR A BARGAINING UNIT EMPLOYEE. Terms and conditions of employment are as outlined in the Support Staff Collective Agreement.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the incumbent acts as the first point of contact for students with immigration inquiries or needs to determine what service/support the student needs. Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Guide students to the direct resources to collect additional documents or information that is required before setting up a meeting with the International Student Advisor (ISA)
- Refer students to other college resources to answer their inquiry or address their needs such as Student Advisors, Program Coordinators, etc.
- Provide tools or resources to students (i.e. information on housing, safety, health services, and cross cultural transitional support, etc.)
- Provide students with documentation, and support, to set up an IRCC account
- Schedule students to attend a group immigration session that will answer their inquiry (i.e. Study Permit, Work Permit, Post Grad Permit, or Travel Documentation sessions)
- Liaise with the internal stakeholders (i.e. RO, Program Coordinator, Co-op Consultants, etc.) on behalf of the student regarding various areas such as, admission status, progression challenges, etc.
- Schedule an appointment for the student with an ISA
- Work directly with the ISA in complex or emergency situations (i.e. if a student has no work permit and/or expired study permit) to determine next steps which may include booking an immediate appointment with an ISA
Administrative duties, which include but are not limited to:
- Assist the ISA with orientation and immigration Information sessions (i.e. preparing documents, scheduling sessions, maintaining records, coordinating room bookings, registration and catering, etc.).
- Provide administrative assistance for international initiatives
- Enter and maintaining information in a variety of databases such as the student information system (i.e. Banner) for progression notes and letter requests, and the data management software (i.e. Clockwork) to document student interactions
- Produce reports on student information, data and statistics
- Assist with the development of communications, forms, and documents (i.e. Student advising flow charts, student forms, etc.)
- Identify process gaps and/or process improvements for students needing assistance and working with the manager to implement solutions
- Provide campus tours for delegations and students
- Front desk coverage as required
- Successfully completed a two-year postsecondary diploma
- Two years of experience in a front line customer service role providing multi-faceted service offerings
- Experience working with students and assisting clients from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds
- Proficiency in English and an additional language(s) such as Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Russian, Korean or Vietnamese to be able to provide support to international students from diverse linguistic backgrounds would be an asset
- Computer skills using the MS Office Suite
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and communication (written and oral) skills
- Proven ability to build and maintain strong relationships with internal and external partners
- Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and be detail oriented while meeting deadlines
- Presentation skills
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment
- Experience in a postsecondary educational environment is an asset
Applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date.
Georgian College supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. Georgian College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and workplace. If you are contacted to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please advise the interview coordinator of any accommodations needed with respect to any materials or processes used to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. While we thank all applicants, only those contacted for an interview will be acknowledged.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process.
To be considered for this position, please visit our website at www.GeorgianCollege.ca and apply by navigating to About Georgian and then to Career Opportunities.