Durham Continuing Education is the Durham District School Board’s program for its adult daytime program as well as many continuing education programs. While the core business of Continuing Education is funded by the Ministry of Education, partnerships with MCTU, IRCC, MCI and MCSS support Continuing Education programming.
In addition to daytime secondary credit programming for students 21 years of age and over, Durham Continuing Education offers the following scope of services and service delivery channels: Adult literacy and upgrading; Computer training; Document evaluation service; eLearning credit program for adults; Elementary & secondary international language classes; Elementary & secondary summer school; English as a Second Language (ESL) for adults; Focus for Future credit program for young parents; Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC); Learn-at-Home credit correspondence; Night school credit; North Durham – credit program; Pathway and cooperative education credit programs; Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR).
Transforming Lives, Strengthening Communities
To be the leading provider of innovative programs to meet the diverse learning needs of our community.
Provides support to the administrative team in the structure and administration of the summer school program. Must demonstrate an attention to accuracy as well as competency with regard to attendance procedures, as summer school is funded based on student attendance records. Secretary will manage the summer school office and function as receptionist for students and parents and will demonstrate outstanding customer service and public relations skills.
- Update daily attendance and reconcile inconsistencies;
- Update daily attendance with the sign in and out information.
2.General Secretarial Duties
- Monitor office supplies, including photocopies and paper supply;
- Liaise with host school secretarial staff;
- Collect emergency phone numbers and utilize as needed;
- Monitor walkie-talkie chat and act as needed;
- Oversee the distribution/collection and maintenance of attendance folders;
- Answer telephones, take messages, relay emergency messages as needed;
- Sign students in and out as per protocol, flag key situations for Administrative team;
- Enter notations to student files re interviews and exceptions as per Administrative team;
- Maintain binder alphabetically, with student file notations, flag key situations for Administrative team;
- Oversee the collection and return of book deposit monies and maintain funds securely;
- Type and duplicate memos and correspondence for Administrative team as needed;
- Provide duplication procedures for teaching staff, including the secure handling of exams;
- Collect and organize course materials, including evaluation plans, course outlines, final marks and teacher attendance;
- Collect/store/organize all notes and correspondence from parents regarding student absences;
- Triage for the Administrative team regarding any parents/students/telephone calls;
- Act as general receptionist for parents/students who come in to the summer school office;
- Prepare reports for Continuing Education, as required;
- Fax final student marks to universities and colleges, as required;
- Prepare and fax final student mark reports to universities and colleges, as required;
- Assist in the set-up and packing-up of the summer school office.
3.Perform other duties as assigned by the site summer school principal or the Principal of Continuing Education
- Telephone, fax machine, computer/printer, photocopier
1.Secondary School Diploma with an emphasis in job related areas of study such as Office
Administration, and up to two years of related employment experience in an educational setting;
or an equivalent combination of formal education and related employment experience.
2.Proficiency in word processing (Microsoft Word 2010), Microsoft Excel 2010, eSIS, computer keyboarding skills, AS400,
Lotus Notes, and Internet usage.
3.Superior public relations and customer service skills.
4.Excellent record-keeping and attention to detail.
5.Exemplary organizational skills.
The DDSB is committed to equity and inclusion in the recruitment and hiring of qualified staff who reflect the diversity of our region. We encourage submissions from candidates who represent the various dimensions of diversity.
Apply for this job