- Tracking Code
- Job Description
Hourly Starting Rate: $18.68 per hour
Department: W. Galen Weston Centre for Food Hours: Up to 24 hours per week; scheduling based on operations and event activity
Reporting To: General Manager, Centre for Food Campus Location: Whitby - W. Galen Weston Centre for Food
Schedule subject to change and flexibility to schedule evenings/ weekends may be required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Durham College is looking for a dynamic hospitality professional with a passion for customer service and student success to take on an exciting role in the award-winning W. Galen Weston Centre for Food (CFF). The Service Captain is responsible for the day to day front of house operations of Bistro ’67 dining room service and CFF events. The Service Captain is a champion of the CFF’s field-to-fork and sustainable mission, and helps ensure it maintains its various designations, including FeastON.
Reporting to the General Manager, the Service Captain is an operations person who performs the Maître ‘D functions, supervises staff, coordinates front of house operations, and oversees events while maintaining high levels of service standards and customer service. The Service Captain is responsible for training staff (which will includes student placements and FOOP students) in product knowledge, service standards, customer service, beverage service, event set-ups and logistics etc. This position provides a leadership role for Bistro’67 (CFF) staff, customers and clients by promoting service excellence, demonstrating strong communication and leadership skills.
The Service Captain will work with the General Manager, Service Manager and Events Coordinators to ensure customer service is maintained and all events are executed to Durham College, Bistro ’67 and Centre for Food Standards.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THIS POSITION INCLUDE:
- Perform the Maître d’ role as required, act as the primary contact for restaurant patrons and event clients.
- Meeting, greeting and solicit feedback from customers and clients.
- Responsible for supervising customer service operations by actively managing the dining room floor and CFF Events.
- Handle complaints from customers, clients and staff. Follow-up with the executive chef, service manager, event coordinators and general manager to avoid ongoing customer complaints.
- Anticipate roadblocks and opportunities for a given shift and implementing strategies to overcome the obstacles and maximize the opportunities.
- Responsible for assisting the Service Manager with training of all staff, student "front of house" employees, placement and FOOP students.
- Assure that all staff are in proper uniform at the start of their shift as well as on time.
- Check daily Events Calendar to know what is happening at the CFF at all times.
- Work with the Executive Chef/ Sous Chef/ Service Manager to hold daily pre-shift meetings.
- Oversee the day to day operation of the restaurant to include CFF events both onsite and offsite. Assure that rooms are set, reservations in place, floor plans ready, Bistro 67 tables set to standard, staff in place and aware of all menus/ special meals, rooms re-set at the end of events, maintain equipment and overall cleanliness.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful incumbent will possess demonstrated skills in the hospitality industry. Applicants must have Smart Serve Certification. The successful incumbent must have at least 2-4 year’s progressive experience in the hospitality industry work experience in a hospitality supervisor or manager role. He or she must be proficient in POS and electronic reservation systems and word processing/spreadsheet programs such as Microsoft Office. The incumbent will possess excellent communication, presentation, management, human relations, and conflict resolution skills; including the ability to handle staff and customer complaints, behaviour issues, and work effectively with a wide variety of customers, teams and groups. He or she will have excellent skills in work organization and working well under pressure.
Durham College invites applications from all qualified individuals. Durham is committed to fostering workplace diversity, and, provides accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout our hiring process. If you require this information in alternate format; require communication supports; an accommodation in applying for a posting and/or if you are selected for an interview, please contact our Human Resources (HR) department and an HR assistant will work with you to meet your needs.
Telephone: 905.721.3073 Email: HumanResources@durhamcollege.ca
Please apply below by submitting your cover letter and resume to the online portal. Applications will be accepted until 4:00pm on Wednesday October 23, 2019. Competition number SP19-44R.
We thank you for your interest in employment with Durham College however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Location
- Oshawa, Canada
- Position Type