- Tracking Code
- Job Description
Durham College is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from qualified individuals, including members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.
Durham College is seeking experienced and motivated professionals who share our commitment to quality and student success. The Office of Research Services, Innovation and Entrepreneurship is currently seeking applications from qualified individuals who are interested in joining the AI Hub, on a part-time, project-based contract to oversee the development of real-world solutions for industry partners through applied research and knowledge transfer projects.
Teams of expert faculty, students and recent graduates collaborate with industry partners and their staff to deliver innovative AI-based solutions to pressing business problems and opportunities. Projects can include producing and testing prototypes, evaluating new technologies, and developing new or improved products or processes for small- and medium-sized businesses (SMEs). All projects are funded by provincial or federal government grants.
The AI Hub is located at the Oshawa Campus and provides SMEs access to facilities, equipment, technical expertise, and project services to assist them in product development, technology adoption, expansion into new markets and commercialization of new products, services and processes.
The responsibilities of Durham College researchers include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting applied research projects in collaboration with college staff and industry partners.
- Developing work plans in collaboration with industry partners, including specific resource requirements, milestones and deliverables.
- Hiring student research assistants.
- Supervising student research assistants.
- Providing technical expertise and leadership for applied research projects.
- Preparing and implementing dissemination activities, including assisting Research Assistants in the preparation of final materials/reports.
- Assisting AI Hub project manager with reports and metrics
- Assisting with follow-up activities alongside the AI Hub project manager
- Presenting findings at internal and external events, including conferences and seminars, as required.
The ideal candidate will meet or exceed the following qualifications:
- An undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Mathematics, Engineering, Business or a related field, preferably a Master’s degree.
- Three to five years of relevant industry experience working with personal and/or commercial projects.
- Demonstrated research skills and project delivery abilities preferably with experience carrying out research projects.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with excellent attention to detail, and the ability to multi-task and prioritize projects.
- Strong written and verbal communication and analytical skills, with ability to work and communicate effectively in an office environment with frequent interruptions and dynamic deadlines.
- Self-motivated and independent worker who also functions well in a collaborative team environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to present and interact with a variety of stakeholders including students, other faculty members, support staff, administrators, other departments within the college and with external partners.
- Uncompromised commitment to confidentiality.
The ideal candidate will possess the following technical skills:
- Established track record of delivering commercial projects and solutions involving Deep Learning and Machine Learning techniques involving at least one of the following: Natural Language Processing, Computer Vision, Recommender Systems, Reinforcement Learning, Statistical Modelling, Pattern Recognition, Large Scale Data Mining.
- Experience working with Deep Learning applications in speech, vision, audio, NLP, and/or multi-modal data.
- Experience working with open source Deep Learning frameworks including TensorFlow, Keras, Theano, and/or Caffe. Solid understanding of underlying algorithmic and architectural concepts.
- Hands-on coding experience with C/C++, Python, Scala, Lua, R, Matlab, and/or Java.
- Experience with systems for large scale data analysis including Spark, Hadoop, Kafka and their subcomponents considered an asset.
- Up to 24 hours per week, Monday to Friday. In person within the AI Hub, Oshawa Campus.
- Occasional weekend and evening hours may be required.
- Some travel to industry partner premises.
To apply, please submit your resume online below.
Durham College provides accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout our hiring Durham College provides accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout our hiring process. If you require this information in alternate format; require communication supports; an accommodation in applying for a posting and/or if you are selected for an interview, please contact our Human Resources (HR) department and an HR assistant will work with you to meet your needs.
In person: Campus Corners building, 2069 Simcoe Street North, Oshawa, ON.
Please apply below by submitting your cover letter and resume to the online portal. Applications will be accepted until 4:00 pm on October 25, 2018. Competition number
We thank you for your interest in employment with Durham College; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Location
- Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
- Position Type