Part-Time Professor - Project Estimating
- Tracking Code
- Job Description
Durham College is seeking an experienced and motivated professional who shares our commitment to quality and student success. The School of Science and Engineering Technology requires a part-time professor to teach ATPE 4131 – Project Estimating II.
In this course students will complete quantity takeoffs and pricing for an office/factory building (design provided) and for a modular residential building of their own design. Design elements may include, but not be limited to, site work, excavation, backfill, carpentry, concrete work, and masonry. Students develop estimates at different levels of detail, with a focus on contractors and subcontractor’s estimates, utilizing manual and computer aided methods, including, but not limited to, MC2 ICE estimating software, and Microsoft Excel. Students will understand differences between databases, spreadsheets and manual methods. Interim deadlines will be set for completion of the various stages and meeting the target deadlines will be a meaningful component in the evaluation.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR PART-TIME FACULTY APPLICANTS
Part-time recruitment is ongoing and is dependent on when courses are being taught and the need for faculty to teach. Part-time faculty teach up to 6 hours per week with varied schedules Monday through Thursday between 8:00 am and 9:00 pm and Fridays between 8:00 am and 6:00 pm.
For more information about the different courses available, please look at the link to our School: https://durhamcollege.ca/academic-schools/school-of-science-and-engineering-technology
The responsibilities of Durham College Part-time Professors include, but are not limited to:
- Creating a positive learning environment that accommodates students’ diverse cultural and educational backgrounds, experiences, and individual learning styles;
- Utilizing principles of adult education to actively engage students in the learning process;
- Effectively using educational technologies to support learning, manage and post grades, and deliver hybrid and on-line courses;
- Developing curriculum that uses appropriate strategies and tools to assess student learning;
- Ensuring that course and program curriculum is current and relevant;
- Working independently and demonstrating initiative; and
- Working effectively with students, the program team, and a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will meet or exceed the following qualifications:
- A relevant degree combined with industry credentials (Master’s is an asset).
- A minimum of five years of recent (within the past three years) and relevant work experience.
- Teaching experience at the post-secondary level with a demonstrated understanding and application of Universal Design for Learning and current assessment methodologies.
- Experience participating in industry-led or community-based applied research is an asset.
- Demonstrated use of current technologies to support student learning and the management of grades.
- Proven track-record of life-long learning.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders including students, faculty, support staff, administrators and community stakeholders.
- Understanding of the Ontario college system.
To apply, please submit your resume below on-line.
Preference will be given to candidates with relevant educational credentials and a proven track record of relevant work/teaching experience. Applicants must have the appropriate accreditation or trade certification.
Durham College invites applications from all qualified individuals. Durham is committed to fostering workplace diversity, and, provides accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout our hiring process. If you require this information in alternate format; require communication supports; an accommodation in applying for a posting and/or if you are selected for an interview, please contact our Human Resources (HR) department and an HR assistant will work with you to meet your needs.
We thank you for your interest in employment with Durham College however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Location
- Oshawa, Canada
- Position Type