- Tracking Code
- Job Description
HOURLY: Starting Rate: $18.68 per hour
Department: W. Galen Weston Centre for Food
Hours: Up to 24 hours per week; scheduling based on operations and event activity
Reporting To: General Manager, Centre for Food
Campus Location: Whitby- W. Galen Weston Centre for Food
Schedule subject to change and flexibility to schedule evenings/ weekends may be required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Durham College is looking for a dynamic culinary professional with a passion for customer service, teamwork and student success to take on an exciting role in the award-winning W. Galen Weston Centre for Food (CFF). The Line Cook participates in the day-to-day back of house operations of Bistro ’67, Catering and Events both on-site and offsite. The Line Cook acknowledges the CFF’s field-to-fork and sustainable mission, and helps ensure it maintains its various designations, including Feast ON.
Reporting to Bistro 67 Executive Chef the Line Cook is responsible for executing menu items and recipes while maintaining the quality of presentation, taste and consistency. Assists with the set-up and organization of assigned workstations, portioning, possesses extensive menu knowledge, maintains a sanitary work area and ensures the proper prep is in place for Bistro 67 service, catering and events.
The successful candidate will need to follow direction, work as part of a team, ensure tasks are completed in a timely manner, and focus on customer service to support Durham College, Bistro ’67 and Centre for Food standards.
Participates in the operation and maintenance of the kitchen by:
- Maintaining the cleanliness of all kitchen equipment including workstations, the prep area, storage spaces and surface areas
- Works efficiently to ensure the restaurant, catering and event orders are prepared in a timely manner
- Anticipating stock levels for service and communicate any potential shortfalls for service, catering and events
- Checking event contracts daily to anticipate requirements for the next 2-3 shifts
- Assuring staff are following procedures required for recipe prep, proper food storage and portion controls
- Motivated to assist/ mentor students with associated duties as needed
- Following proper sanitation and safety standards within designated work area
- Familiarity with the legislated Dine Safe Durham food and safety requirements.
- Assisting with the open and closure of the kitchen by following the opening/ closing checklist for kitchen workstations
- Communicates with Executive Chef when product re-ordering is required
The successful incumbent will possess demonstrated culinary skills and have at least 2-3 years of progressive experience in the culinary industry to include work experience in a kitchen environment. Safe Food Handling certification is required. The incumbent will possess excellent communication, human relation, and teamwork skills. They will have excellent skills in organization and working well under pressure.
Durham College invites applications from all qualified individuals. Durham is committed to fostering workplace diversity, and, provides accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout our hiring process. If you require this information in alternate format; require communication supports; an accommodation in applying for a posting and/or if you are selected for an interview, please contact our Human Resources (HR) department and an HR assistant will work with you to meet your needs.
Telephone: 905.721.3073 Email: HumanResources@durhamcollege.ca
Please apply below by submitting your cover letter and resume to the online portal. Applications will be accepted until 4:00pm on August 12, 2019. Competition number SP19-13.
We thank you for your interest in employment with Durham College however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Location
- Whitby, Canada
- Position Type