- Tracking Code
- Job Description
Contract position, up to one year
HOURLY: Starting Rate: $14.21 per hour
Department: W. Galen Weston Centre for Food
Hours: Up to 24 hours per week; scheduling based on operations and event activity
Reporting To: General Manager, Centre for Food
Campus Location: Whitby- W. Galen Weston Centre for Food
Schedule subject to change and flexibility to schedule evenings/ weekends may be required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Durham College is looking for a dynamic hospitality professional to work with the executive chef and sous chef to coordinate the ongoing daily maintenance and cleanliness of equipment within the kitchen, and with a passion for customer service, teamwork and student success to take on an exciting role in the award-winning W. Galen Weston Centre for Food (CFF).
Reporting to Bistro 67 Chef and Sous Chef, the dishwasher is responsible for the sanitizing and cleaning of kitchen equipment, washing small-wares, glassware and utensils in the restaurant. They will follow direction to assure the safe and efficient use of all related equipment in the kitchen environment.
The successful candidate will be involved in the day-to-day operations of the restaurant, specifically the dishwashing area, performing duties including, but not limited to, washing dishes, receiving and storing products, garbage/ compost removal, and compliance with safe food handling procedures. They will need to follow direction, work as part of a team, ensure tasks are completed in a timely manner, and support Durham College, Bistro ’67 and Centre for Food standards.
Participates in the operation and maintenance of the kitchen by:
- Maintaining cleanliness of all kitchen equipment including small-wares, glassware, utensils, cookware, pots, pans etc.
- Works efficiently to maintain the appropriate supply of clean small-wares, utensils, glassware, pots and pans to stock the restaurant/ stations.
- Experienced in disinfecting, removing trash and debris, and emptying trashcans from kitchen area.
- Follow procedures required for cleaning the dishwashing machine.
- Motivated to assist kitchen staff with associated duties as needed
- Follow proper sanitation and safety standards within designated work area.
- Familiarity with the legislated Dine safe Durham food and safety requirements.
- Assist with closure of the kitchen by following the closing checklist for kitchen stations.
- Support the preparation of a sanitary work area compliant with established standards.
- Receive and store food supplies in the proper refrigerators, freezers, and other designated storage areas.
The successful incumbent will possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Safe Food Handling certification an asset. The incumbent will possess high-level organizational skills and attention to detail for planning activities in kitchen and have a good understanding of function and maintenance of commercial equipment.
Preference will be given to candidates with relevant educational credentials and evidence of relevant work/teaching experience.
Durham College invites applications from all qualified individuals. Durham is committed to fostering workplace diversity, and, provides accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout our hiring process. If you require this information in alternate format; require communication supports; an accommodation in applying for a posting and/or if you are selected for an interview, please contact our Human Resources (HR) department and an HR assistant will work with you to meet your needs.
Telephone: 905.721.3073 Email: HumanResources@durhamcollege.ca
Please apply below by submitting your cover letter and resume to the online portal. Applications will be accepted until 4:00pm on September 30, 2019. Competition number SP19-09.
We thank you for your interest in employment with Durham College however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Location
- Whitby, Canada
- Position Type