- Tracking Code
- Job Description
COMPETITION NO. SS19-32
NEW POSITION () FULL TIME (X)
REPLACEMENT (X) PART TIME ()
Salary: Starting Rate: $33.67; Four Year Rate: $39.02
Department: Facilities Management
Hours: 40 hours per week (1) one hour lunch; Mon – Fri (8:00 am – 5:00 pm)
Reporting To: Director, Facilities Management
Campus Location: Oshawa
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The incumbent performs carpentry duties to all college and university buildings within the Oshawa and Whitby campuses. Assists the lead with cost estimating, consultation, scheduling and coordination of various projects within this scope. The incumbent performs interior building repairs such as painting, flooring as well as repairs to wall and ceiling systems. Assists the lead in coordinating repairs to building envelopes such as roof repairs, caulking, curtainwall repairs as well as exterior siding and masonry repairs. Incumbent designs and fabricates custom furnishing upon request from campus stakeholders and coordinates installation of custom millwork by contracted 3rd parties. Responsible for safe operation of the Carpentry shop including all tools, equipment and required maintenance.
- Assess building envelope for preventative maintenance activities and emergency repairs (ie roofing, exterior restoration such as glazing, caulking, brick and siding repairs etc). Coordinate repairs and preventative maintenance activities with outside contractors (ie roofers, glaziers, caulking specialists, sheet metal workers etc)
- Provide renovation services to accommodate departmental and classroom space changes including removal, relocation and addition of walls, partitions, doors, ceilings, floor coverings and related works. Provide material quantity and cost for estimating purposes.
- Responsible for on-going daily safe operation of the Carpentry Shop including all tools and equipment and required maintenance. Designs and manufactures special purpose and custom furnishings.
- Coordinate repairs to damaged wall, ceiling, and floor systems along with preparation and painting.
- Provide technical and support information to skilled, semi-skilled and unskilled staff as required.
- Recommend materials and equipment required for purchase by department
- Operate College vehicles as required.
- Assist the Manager in the co-ordination of contracted construction and renovation work. Responsible for overseeing all contracted work including construction projects, roofing projects, asbestos removal projects, etc. in the absence of the Manager
- Other duties as assigned.
- Trade certification mandatory – Certificate of Qualification for General Carpenter.
- Minimum of five years’ experience - Knowledge of the Ontario Building Code, Ontario Fire Code and a number of other regulations pertaining to renovation and new construction activities. Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Must possess a valid G Driver’s License.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Demonstrate ability to work collaboratively with team members and independently.
Durham College invites applications from all qualified individuals. Durham is committed to fostering workplace diversity, and, provides accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout our hiring process. If you require this information in alternate format; require communication supports; an accommodation in applying for a posting and/or if you are selected for an interview, please contact our Human Resources (HR) department and an HR assistant will work with you to meet your needs.
Telephone: 905.721.3073 Email: HumanResources@durhamcollege.ca
Please apply below by submitting your cover letter and resume to the online portal. Job Competition closes at 4:00 p.m. on September 23, 2019. Competition number SS19-32.
We thank you for your interest in employment with Durham College however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Location
- Oshawa, Canada
- Position Type
- 33.67 - 39.02 CAD