Program Assistant, Conservation Parks – Visitor Services
At this time, we are seeking to fill the position of:Program Assistant, Conservation Parks – Visitor Services
Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We have a good employee benefits program. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) pension fund. We have flexible work hours for many positions. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll have free access to our parks and discounts on recreational equipment rentals. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
Summary of Functions
As a member of the Conservation Parks team, under the general supervision of the Senior Coordinator, Conservation Parks and the group leadership of the Superintendents, Conservation Parks you will:
- Coordinate reservations of visitors to the parks;
- Provide leadership and training to Customer Service Representatives;
- Provide and mentor on effective customer service;
- Assist in performing revenue receiving/reporting/deposit functions;
- Manage a POS operating system and visitor database;
- Perform general clerical duties related to park operations; and
- Provide services as it relates to the Conservation Parks Membership program including communication, coordination and sales.
- Working knowledge of the Conservation Parks programs, services, operating regulations and applicable policies and procedures in order to issue permits and provide information to staff and park visitors.
- Working knowledge of professional office practices and general administrative processes and able to operate and perform minor repairs to a variety of office machines and equipment.
- Good working knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and those regulations made under the act that apply to the workplace and the work being performed.
- Good interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills to provide effective customer service, team communications, sales support and prepare correspondence.
- Good group leadership, organizational, mathematical, multi-tasking and cash handling skills.
- Knowledge of and ability to use personal computers, including Microsoft Office programs, record keeping, internet, e-mail and various Point of Sale, web-based and corporate software applications.
- Ability to work shifts, weekends and statutory holidays as per schedule.
- Basic understanding of accounting principles and functions is an asset.
- Valid First Aid Certificate.
- Valid Class ‘G’ driver’s license.
Summary of Major Tasks
- Coordinates the registration of visitors to the Conservation Parks by: overseeing day to day operations at the Island Lake Conservation Area gatehouse, issuing of daily and annual permits, ensuring knowledge of park policies and procedures, and promoting compliance of park rules and regulations through public communication.
- Provide leadership and assist in hiring, training, evaluating and motivating of seasonal Customer Service Representatives.
- Ensure work is performed in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations.
- Perform revenue functions, such as: receiving, securing, reporting and reconciling of daily sales including large amounts of cash and electronic bank deposits, refunding, balancing and replenishing cash floats for multiple locations.
- Managing the point of sale system, including sales data and customer information management.
- Performing general clerical duties such as: answering general inquiries of Conservation Parks programs, services, and activities; using word processing, e-mail, internet and other computing and web-based software.
- Process facility and equipment reservations; including managing the online booking calendar, customer interaction, inter-park communication, information and document gathering, payment, reporting and follow-up.
- Deliver services as it relates to the Conservation Parks Membership program including member communication, coordination and sales.
- Assist in planning or coordinating special events and weddings for CVC Conservation Parks.
- Assist in marketing and promoting Conservation Parks programs as needed.
- Be flexible in working locations and conditions as this position is based in a Conservation Area setting.
- Anticipated Start and End Dates: October 5, 2020 to October 29, 2021 (35 hours/week)
Salary starting at: $47,055
Forward resume by August 30, 2020 to:
Credit Valley Conservation
Please quote "Program Assistant, Conservation Parks – Visitor Services" in the subject line of your application email, as well as in the resume/letter.
Resumes/letters submitted electronically must be submitted in Word or PDF format as one document.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
CVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), CVC will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform the Human Resources (HR) staff. All personal information is collected under the authority of the municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.Apply for this job