Instructor, Education (6 Casual Positions) – TCCA
February 18th, 2020 - October 30th, 2020 (10 -35 hours/ week), Seasonal
At this time, we are seeking to fill the position of:Instructor, Education (6 Casual Positions) – TCCA
Who are we?
Credit Valley Conservation is one of Ontario’s 36 conservation authorities dedicated to protecting, restoring and enhancing our local natural environment. We care for the Credit River, its streams and tributaries from the headwaters in Orangeville to the shores of Lake Ontario in Mississauga. We are scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, environmentalists, stewards, planners, foresters, recreation experts and much more. We create connections between people and nature, knowledge and action. We inspire appreciation for the role of nature in keeping people connected, healthy and happy. We’re leaders and explorers. We are professional and we’re inspired. We know our stuff, and we work every day to make a difference.
Who are you?
You want to be part of an organization with an environmental goal. You get up every day and go to work with purpose. You accept that you may not change the world, but you’ll try to make an impact in your corner. You like to partner with skilled people across many professions. It’s as natural for you think about the outdoors as it is to think out of the box. You’re passionate, responsible and approachable. You do what’s right, not just what’s easy. You care, and it shows.
Why work for us?
We offer competitive public sector pay. We’re members of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) pension fund. We find time to have fun and celebrate successes. You’ll know your co-workers by name and will make fast friends. You’ll like being at work.
SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS
CVC has a strong history of providing educational programming in our Conservation Areas and educating the public about conservation, issues such as climate change, and the natural heritage of the Credit River watershed.
Reporting to the Senior Coordinator, Education, these positions support CVC’s commitment to providing quality education that enhance ecological literacy throughout our watershed. Assisting with program implementation, Instructors lead educational initiatives focused on priority CVC issues targeting diverse audiences such as elementary students, adults, multicultural groups, families, and whole communities in urban, rural, indoor and outdoor locations. From February to April, Instructors deliver the Maple Syrup program at Terra Cotta Conservation Area. From April to November, these positions support other education programs including, but not limited to: outdoor education programs, multicultural programs, Stream of Dreams, and in-class/school workshops.
Candidates should have strong leadership experience and be able to motivate and inspire audiences to learn about the natural world with positive enthusiasm in the performance of their duties. Instructors are expected to partake in all activities, which may include physical activities in the outdoors and traversing uneven terrain in potentially varying weather conditions. This role often requires candidates to work on a close-knit team and independently. As a CVC representative, candidates should have strong organizational and problem-solving skills and experience in the environmental field. CVC is committed to the health and safety of all its employees, program partners, and participants. At all times, Instructors will be expected to assume responsibility for the safety of program participants, their co-workers, and themselves.
- Post-Secondary degree related to environmental science, education, or a related discipline;
- Minimum 1-year experience in outdoor, experiential, and/or environmental education;
- Ability to identify common flora and fauna and interpret nature;
- Knowledge of ecology, conservation, and local environmental issues;
- Experience working with adults specifically at ESL/LINC centers considered an asset;
- Experience working with diverse cultural, religious groups or settlement agencies considered an asset;
- Ability to communicate in diverse languages (Punjabi, Urdu, Hindi, Mandarin, Arabic) considered an asset;
- Ability to communicate in French considered an asset;
- Advanced customer service and communication skills;
- Ability to work multiple weekends;
- Ability and willingness to work outdoors in a variety of settings, conditions, and environments;
- Ability to lift approximately 30lbs of equipment/materials;
- Valid Class ‘G’ Ontario driver’s license required and access to vehicle (condition of employment);
- Driver’s abstract required (condition of employment);
- Standard First Aid required (condition of employment);
- Police reference check with vulnerable sector screening required (condition of employment).
Summary of Major TasksPerform the following tasks under limited direction:
- Assist with the development of the Maple Syrup program at Terra Cotta Conservation Area;
- Implement, present and deliver the Maple Syrup program to different audiences (i.e. school groups, the public (e.g. families and adults), and multicultural groups;
- Lead and deliver outdoor education programs to different audiences at Terra Cotta Conservation Area and across the Credit River watershed;
- Lead and deliver education workshops and presentations in classroom settings at schools and at adult ESL/LINC centers;
- Assist with the preparation and maintenance of program supplies and materials;
- Actively promote and market CVC’s wide range of programs and other initiatives;
- Follow daily schedules and maintain program administration;
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional InformationWork Locations: These may vary throughout the duration of the contract, but there are two key work locations for this position:
- Terra Cotta Conservation Area: 14452 Winston Churchill Blvd, Terra Cotta, ON L0P 1N0
- Head Office: 1255 Old Derry Road, Mississauga, ON L5N 6R4
Salary starting at: $19.75
Forward resume by January, 5th, 2020 to:
Credit Valley Conservation
Fax: (905) 670-5613 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote "Instructor, Education (6 Casual Positions) – TCCA" on resume/letter. Resumes/letters submitted electronically must be submitted in Microsoft Word format.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
CVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), CVC will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform the Human Resources (HR) staff. All personal information is collected under the authority of the municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.Apply for this job