Assistant, Community Outreach
September 9, 2019 to December 6, 2019 (1 casual position, 35 hours/week) - Seasonal
At this time, we are seeking to fill the position of:Assistant, Community Outreach
SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS
Reporting to the Senior Coordinator, Community Outreach, this position will support CVC’s Community Outreach team, particularly the community tree planting and corporate employee engagement programs.
Working closely with the Senior Coordinator, and Coordinator, Community Outreach this position will assist with the preparation and delivery of stewardship events for public and corporate audiences throughout the Credit River watershed. The Assistant will help with loading plants and other equipment prior to events and will assist staff in set up/take down at events. They will demonstrate how to safely work and guide program participants in a variety of stewardship activities and environmental restoration projects throughout the watershed. The successful candidate will also assist with the coordination of these events through various administrative tasks, including data entry and analysis, communications and social media support.
The Assistant will also support the Program Assistant, Community Outreach with tree planting site assessments on a weekly basis, collecting data at past planting sites using our site assessment protocol, and maintenance of these planting sites including watering, pruning and weeding. This position will also have opportunities to support the Community Outreach team’s youth programming through various tasks such as data entry and analysis, communications, equipment management, and assisting with the Frontline and Branch Out programs.
Candidates should have an interest in nature, the environment, and/or science, possess some experience engaging the community (ideally through environmental activities/issues), have a positive attitude, be detail-oriented and be willing to try new tasks. The Assistant is expected to partake in all activities, which may be strenuous in the outdoors and traversing uneven terrain in potentially adverse weather conditions. This role requires the candidate to work on a close-knit team, but also independently at times.
Some evening/weekend work will be required.
CVC is committed to the health and safety of all its employees, program partners, and volunteers. The Assistant will be expected to put safety first, assume responsibility for their own safety, for that of co-workers, and for that of the program participants they work with.
This position is funded in part by Canadian Parks and Recreation Association’s Green Jobs Initiative.
- Youth between the ages of 15 and 30;
- Experience working outdoors;
- Some experience with community engagement;
- Valid Class ‘G’ Ontario driver’s license and a clean Driver’s abstract;
- Police reference check with vulnerable sector screening (condition of employment).
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person as defined by the immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Be legally entitled to work according to any provincial/territorial legislation and regulations
- Have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year (in or outside of Canada)
Summary of Major Tasks
- Load, prepare, and maintain program equipment and materials;
- Assist with event set up and site preparation;
- Assist with stewardship and restoration projects at various sites;
- Assist with tree assessment & watering program;
- Work alongside CVC staff and community partners;
- Create a positive event experience for program participants;
- Assist with data entry;
- Assist with communication to program participants;
- Assist with photo and file management;
- Support online interaction with community partners via social media;
- Other duties as assigned.
Salary starting at: $14.50
Forward resume by Friday, August 23, 2019 to:
Credit Valley Conservation
Fax: (905) 670-5613 or Email: email@example.com
Please quote "Assistant, Community Outreach" on resume/letter. Resumes/letters submitted electronically must be submitted in Microsoft Word format.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
CVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), CVC will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform the Human Resources (HR) staff. All personal information is collected under the authority of the municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.Apply for this job