The Registered Nurse is responsible for providing nursing care to residents, to provide direction to other nursing personnel and to assist in the organizing of the Nursing Department, in accordance with the policies of the Home and applicable legislation. As a values member of Long Term Care and Seniors Services, the Registered Nurse demonstrates a commitment to Resident Safety by providing quality care in accordance with the organizations mission and vision.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (not listed in order of priority)
1. Provide Nursing care in accordance with administrative policies and physicians orders.
2. Provide supervision to PSW’s/HCA’s and RPN’s, to ensure the nursing care of residents. Assist in training and education of nursing personnel.
3. In conjunction with the Nursing team, identify needs of residents and develop and maintain appropriate care plans.
4. Assess resident’s condition through recognizing and interpreting symptoms and signs and instituting interventions as appropriate.
5. Assist physician in diagnostic and therapeutic measures.
6. Observe, report and record symptoms and administer medications and treatment as prescribed.
7. Responsible for safekeeping of drugs and proper care of equipment.
8. Assist in teaching residents good health habits and maintain a physical and psycho social environment to meet their needs.
9. In the absence of the Administrator or Director, Resident Care, notify proper authorities in the event of life threatening situations.
10. At the time of a residents’ death may pronounce in an anticipated situation. Responsible for delegating the care of the body, notifying appropriate individuals according to County policies and procedures.
11. Responsible for evaluating the performance of the PSW’s/HCA’s and RPN’s.
12. Ensure confidentiality of all resident records.
13. Provide input into the development and implementation of Nursing related policies and procedures.
14. Develop and maintain good relationships with residents, families, visitors and other departments.
15. Participates in and demonstrates an understanding of resident safety principles and practices into all day to day activities. Follows all safe work practices and procedures and immediately communicates any activity or action which may constitute a risk to resident safety.
16. Participate in committees as required.
17. Effectively utilizes all electronic systems provided.
18. Perform other duties as assigned.
19. Works in compliance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act and the Long Term Care Homes Act, and their regulations in performing duties in a safe manner and follows all County of Simcoe Health & Safety policies, procedures and legislation.
20. Maintain confidentiality in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and Personal Health Information Privacy Act
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS AND CERTIFICATION
• Strong knowledge of health care practices and procedures obtained through a Diploma and/or Degree in Nursing.
• Current registration as Registered Nurse with College of Nurses of Ontario.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Criminal Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening that is less than six (6) months old at time of hire.
• As a condition of employment, candidates are required to submit documented results of TB testing, as per Public Health requirements.
• Proof of annual CPR recertification.
• A minimum of two (2) years experience as a Registered Nurse.
• Previous experience in geriatrics, or a long term care nursing facility, or completion of a course in gerontology is preferred.
• Some physical effort is required when assisting/caring for residents.
• Frequent walking, standing.
• Visual and mental effort required when assessing residents and completing charts.
• This position is located in a long term care facility, exposure to illnesses and germs are possible on a daily basis.
• Work schedule to be determined; shifts may include days, evenings, nights and weekends.
As per the collective agreement or non-union job band.
Georgian Manor (Non-Union): $35.18
Simcoe Manor (SEIU RN): $30.04
Sunset Manor (SEIU RN): $30.04
Trillium Manor (ONA): $33.23