Permanent, Full Time
Conservation Halton was created to protect, restore and manage the natural resources in our watershed but we have grown to become so much more. Today, our purpose is to protect our communities and conserve our natural environment through planning, education and recreation and to support our partners in the creation of sustainable communities within our watershed. We also have a new strategic plan, Metamorphosis, which will empower us to embrace more innovative ideas and creative solutions, enable us to communicate and collaborate more effectively, create the capacity for us to form new partnerships within the community and position us to become leaders in conservation.
Want to be part of the transformation? We are looking to build our team with the kind of inspired, ambitious people that aren’t satisfied with the status quo, that see the opportunity in every challenge, that are able to manage a project from start to finish, are driven by real, measurable results and thrive in a busy work environment. If you are looking to join an environmentally-focused, socially-conscious community organization, then we are looking for you!
The Manager, Accounting plays a critical part of the finance team and is responsible for providing leadership to a team that ensures the financial records of Conservation Halton are prepared in accordance with Public Sector Accounting Board standards and the Conservation Authorities Act and providing accounting expertise and support to management and peers. This position is responsible for overseeing general accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll.
- Responsible for the management of accounting services at Conservation Halton.
- Manage month end processes, routines and reconciliations.
- Provide input into variances and trends in monthly expenditures to budget.
- Prepare information for reports to the Board of Directors
- Mange the fiscal year-end processes, preparation of year-end working papers and draft financial statement for auditors. Assist auditors as required.
- Manage and maintain the Great Plains accounting software, including financial reporting module.
- Manage the timely preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports.
- Ensure accurate and timely preparation of external financial reporting.
- Manage the approvals of various accounting transactions.
- Responsible for reviewing and approving bi-weekly payroll.
- Provide leadership and supervision to the finance team, including hiring, performance management and professional development.
- Assist with financial analysis related to program delivery, user fees, budgets
- Manage the preparation of applications for financial grants and subsidies from other levels of government and ensure compliance with terms of agreements.
- Develop, recommend and ensure adherence to financial policies, procedures and internal controls.
- Provide financial leadership, advice and support to all Conservation Halton departments.
Need to Have
The preferred candidate will have a University Degree in Commerce or Business Administration with an Accounting major and a Professional accounting designation (CGA, CMA or CA) coupled with the following skills, experience, and abilities:
- 3 – 5 years leadership experience, preferably in a public sector and accounting environment.
- Experience working in a Windows environment utilizing Microsoft Office applications, advanced proficiency utilizing MS Excel is required
- Strong accounting and analytical skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must possess excellent communication, leadership, organization and problem solving skills.
- Ability to multi-task and meet multiple deadlines
- Knowledge of Great Plains accounting software would be an asset.
- Knowledge of Public Sector Account Board (PSAB) requirements would be an asset.
- Starting at $82,399 based on a 35 hour work week
- You will join the organization at one of the most exciting times in our 60 year history
- You will have the opportunity to work with a solutions-focused team, and to develop your skills
- You will work for an organization that places tremendous value on the professional and personal development of its employees
At Conservation Halton, we offer a robust total rewards package, including:
- Competitive salary and annual opportunities for increases
- Comprehensive benefits package and EFAP access
- Participation in the OMERS defined benefit pension plan, with generous employer-matching
- 35 hour work weeks
- Free access to Conservation Ontario parks
- Season passes and lift tickets for the Glen Eden ski hill
- Generous discounts on Conservation Halton services, food and merchandise
The role will be part of a strong, change-ready team who are looking forward to implementing our strategic plan. Our metamorphosis is now underway and we are looking for the right person.
Our Core Values
Be Respectful: Respect one another, celebrate diversity, and embrace new ideas.
Be Adaptable: Change is constant. Channel your passion, be innovative, and focus on results.
Be Collaborative: Share your knowledge, listen to understand, and always communicate clearly.
Be Sustainable: In everything you do, think conservation.
Be Accountable: Uphold your integrity, demonstrate measurable progress, and strive for excellence.
Please email your application to email@example.com by October 5, 2018
You application should include:
- Your resume in one pdf document
- Reference your name and the position title in the subject line
- In the body of your email, please indicate where you heard about this opportunity
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Conservation Halton is an equal opportunity employer in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Conservation Halton will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. Personal information provided is collected under the authority of The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
← Return to Employment Opportunities