Applications are now being received for the above position in the Operations Department, Community & Fire Services Commission. To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter online by November 29, 2020.
Reporting to the Sr. Manager, Roads, Survey & Utility, you will be responsible for the coordination, supervision and administration of roads maintenance functions within and assigned geographic area of the City.
Key responsibilities include:
- Staff deployment and field supervision for: maintenance and repair work related to roads/sidewalks/boulevards, street/traffic signage, street/sidewalk/catch basin cleaning, storm water management, road patching, litter/debris pickup, cleaning, culvert maintenance, fencing and guardrail repair/installation and curb and sidewalk repairs.
- Winter operations supervision of and including road patrols, snow plowing, snow removal and salting/sanding on roads and sidewalks, seniors windrow assistance program, culvert steaming and debris removal to ensure proper drainage etc.
- Provide assistance to community related events including coordination of setup, takedown of road closures and associated signage, barricades and fencing.
- Lead with preparation and evaluation of tenders, coordinating contract start-up upon bid award, inspecting and supervising contracted and project work and materials/supplies delivery in the field, tracking contractor/supplier performance, coordinating stake-outs and necessary permits, trouble-shooting with contractors/suppliers in the field, coordinating the timing and delivery of bulk materials supplies, completing necessary reports/documentation related to contracted services and ensuring health & safety and legislative/regulatory compliance.
- Staff supervision and development
- Assisting with budget preparation and administering assigned budgets including reconciliation/authorization of accounts.
- Contributing to the Operations Department work/business planning.
- Championing the corporate, commission and departmental vision, mission and values.
- Supervises assigned staff including scheduling of work, staff training/development, health & safety and other regulatory compliance, performance management/review, coaching/mentoring, collective agreement administration, payroll submissions, progressive discipline and termination recommendations.
- Responds to inquiries from and/or liaises with residents, Councillors, businesses, contractors/suppliers, internal departments, etc. on contracts, equipment/materials needs, maintenance programs/policies/procedures, contract administration and customer service issues, and other Operations related matters, as required.
- Assesses staffing needs; makes recommendations for new and/or seasonal complement or temporary secondments; participates in recruitment processes; ensures appropriate orientation of new/assigned staff.
- Prepares and/or assists with the preparation of tender specifications and bid evaluations for roads maintenance projects, services and related materials/supplies to be performed/supplied by external contracted services; liaises with successful proponent and coordinates contract start-up upon bid award; coordinates stake-outs and necessary permits.
- Oversee sign shop, city wide traffic sign maintenance and repair, city-wide pavement marking program, city's operations yard function and special event implementation.
- Administers assigned contracts including conducting field inspections and monitoring/tracking contractor performance to ensure compliance with tender specifications, health and safety, and other applicable legislation/regulations; trouble-shooting in the field where issues/problems arise; reviewing and authorizing progress draws and making recommendations on change orders where necessary; prepares necessary follow-up reports/documentation.
- Participates in the preparation of the department operating and capital budgets; administers approved budgets including reconciliation of assigned accounts and authorization of expenditures; participates in reviews of in-house/contracted services mix; contributes to Operations business/work planning.
- Benchmarks productivity, streamlining/updating for best practices, assuring compliance with standards/procedures and health & safety, and assuring contractor performance and value-for-money for the municipality.
- Assists with City-wide Operations maintenance programs, provides back-up support and acts in the absence of other Operations Supervisors, participates in rotational standby coverage, and acts in the absence of the Manager, Roads, Survey & Utility as assigned.
- Participates as a member of the Operations Department management team; leads and/or participates on project teams, as assigned; and champions the corporate/commission/departmental vision, mission and values within Operations and among colleagues and co-workers.
- Undertakes special projects and performs other duties as assigned, in accordance with departmental or commission/corporate objectives.
- Community College Diploma in Civil Engineering, with an emphasis on Contract Administration and Project Management; additional courses in Roads Maintenance.
- Eligibility for or holder of a Certified Engineering Technologist (CET) designation from the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT)
- Eligibility for or holder of a Certified Road Supervisor (CRS) from the Association of Ontario Road Supervisors.
- Significant experience (minimum five years) in contract/project administration in a high-volume municipal roads maintenance environment, including supervisory experience in a unionized environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, time/project management, organizational, contract administration, analytical, recordkeeping, work prioritization, problem-solving, and staff development/supervisory skills.
- Ability to build strong and enthusiastic staff teams and internal alliances; to align Operations contract administration field operations with Operations goals and objectives; to champion the vision, mission and values of the municipality; to foster and contribute to a positive, productive, service-oriented work environment; and to deal courteously and effectively with all contacts.
- Thorough working knowledge of project management/contract administration principles, practices and procedures, the Occupational Health & Safety Act and Construction regulations, Provincial Minimum Maintenance Standards for roads, the Highway Traffic Act and related pertinent legislation/regulations/guidelines, roads maintenance/operations standards and preventative maintenance/quality assurance practices, labour relations principles and collective agreement administration, and contemporary management practices.
- Computer literacy utilizing word-processing, spreadsheet, and contract administration/project management-related software, email and the Internet; experience with roads maintenance management and infrastructure asset management software an asset.
- Class G Drivers license in good standing; DZ preferred. As a condition of employment, you will be required to provide a satisfactory drivers abstract.
- Willingness and availability to participate in rotational standby and for emergency response.
- Service Excellence: Leads and supports staff in meeting or exceeding service standards when interacting with customers.
- Change & Innovation: Effectively implements change and supports and involves staff through change transitions.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Leads and supports staff in working together collaboratively, fosters teamwork and inclusion, and cultivates relationships.
- Communication: Models active listening and clear communication, and supports staff members in communicating effectively.
- Accountable Results Oriented: Role models ethical behaviour and accountability; clarifies expectations, policies and legislation and supports staff in meeting them.
- Management & Leadership: Supports a positive work environment, develops and enables staff, sets clear expectations, provides regular feedback, and addresses performance.
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. We thank all those applicants who have applied however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to inclusive employment practices.