Manager, Corporate Asset and Project Management
The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Manager, Corporate Asset and Project Management within the Engineering and Transportation Services department. This position will be responsible for leading the development of the Asset Management and Project Management policies, standards, best practices and technology improvements across the organization. Reporting to the General Manager/City Engineer the successful candidate will demonstrate leadership and guidance, technical competence, innovation and creativity and commitment to results. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Lead the development, implementation and review of corporate asset management best practices; consult, advise, coach and mentor business units across the organization
- Lead the development and implementation of robust project management methodologies including tools and approaches to such matters as risk identification, success measurement, escalation processes and decision making responsibilities
- Build consensus among stakeholders, influencing business planning and budget decisions with management and Council
- Develop, monitor and evaluate compliance with policies related to asset management and project management
- Monitor asset and project management research, trends and developments with a focus on making recommendations to improve asset management processes/practices
- Support the implementation of asset information management technology and data strategies
- Prepare and present reports to senior management and Council on issues relating to asset management and project management
- Provide visible and positive leadership to staff consistent with the commitments of the City’s Leadership Charter, developing and nurturing a work environment that is inclusive, respectful and motivating for staff
- Responsible for staff supervision, including health and safety, performance appraisals, learning and development
- Coach and mentor asset management and project management staff in business units across the organization and build consensus amongst stakeholders
- Contribute to the departmental leadership team and corporate initiatives
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City staff and the public using principles of good customer service
- Develop collaborative partnerships on matters relating to asset management and project management
- Support the development of a robust, transparent and defendable capital investment plan across all service areas by linking level of service targets, asset performance and risk assessment
- Develop and monitor operational budget for the division
- Provide support and direction to the departmental capital budgeting process
- Extensive experience related to the duties listed above, normally accompanied by a University Degree in Engineering, Commerce, Business, Economics or related field
- Extensive experience in public infrastructure asset management including industry best practices and their strategic applications, asset management business principles, and developing and maintaining infrastructure inventory databases
- Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Considerable experience leading and motivating staff
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation is an asset
- Considerable experience in project management leading large projects from inception to implementation
- Knowledge of project portfolio management and reporting, and project management methodologies, theories and applications
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders on a variety of issues
- Well-developed presentation skills with the ability to articulate messages clearly and effectively to a variety of audiences including presentations to council
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday March 31, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
Apply for this job
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.