Building Inspector III
The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Applications are being accepted for the position of Building Inspector III within Building Services. With a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement, this position will be guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Perform building inspections of all types of industrial, commercial, institutional and large residential construction projects under Part 3 of the Ontario Building Code.
- Assist mechanical inspectors with plumbing & HVAC inspections of all types of industrial, commercial, institutional and large residential construction projects under Part 3 of the Ontario Building Code, as required.
- Assist Building Inspector II’s with inspections of low rise residential housing projects and associated ancillary buildings, as required.
- Provide support and advice to the Technical Lead, Commercial Inspections.
- Perform municipal by-law, business licence and liquor licence inspections.
- Recommend new methods and procedures related to industrial, commercial, institutional, and large residential projects within the scope of Part 3, Division B, of the Building Code.
- Provide guidance and direction to all intermediate and junior technical staff regarding building inspection services.
- Prepare and issue reports, letters and Orders in relation to on-site inspections.
- Issue Provincial Offence Notices and Information’s under the Provincial Offences Act and attend court, as necessary.
- Establish and maintain good positive relationships with the public, professionals and City staff.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge and ability to interpret Codes, By-laws and working (construction) drawings, with an excellent understanding of the Building Code Act, Ontario Building Code (specifically division B, part 3), Ontario Fire Code and municipal by-laws.
- Experience in Plans Examination would be an asset.
- Ability to resolve complex problems related to inspections.
- Intermediate skills Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel) and building permit related software (preferably AMANDA).
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to handle conflict.
- Knowledge of the Provincial Offences Act and the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Must be able to perform the physical requirements of the job which includes walking, sitting and standing for extended periods of time; climbing, crawling and stooping will also be required on a regular basis.
- A satisfactory Police Record Check would be required at time of offer.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a 3-year community college diploma program in Architectural Technology or Construction Technology and over 5 years’ experience in a relevant role which includes industrial, commercial, institutional and large residential projects within the scope of Part 3, Division B, of the Building Code. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Accredited with the Ontario Building Officials Association as a Certified Building Code Official.
- Must be qualified with the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing in the following categories:
- General Legal
- Small Buildings
- Large Buildings
- Complex Buildings
- Detection, Lighting and Power
- Building Structural
- Qualifications in Plumbing – House, Plumbing – All Buildings, HVAC – House and Building Services are also required. Candidates who do not currently possess any of these 4 qualifications would be required to obtain them within a specified time frame.
- Must possess a valid ‘G” drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
$40.04 – $49.16 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Thursday March 21, 2019. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
Apply for this job
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be con