NOTICE OF POSTINGPOSTING DATE: February 3, 2020
RESUME AND LETTER OF INTEREST REQUESTED BY: 02/24/20 POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
|Department:||Community Development Department|
|Job Title:||Sustainable Transportation Planning Intern|
|Civil Service Position:||Non Civil Service position|
|Hours Per Week:||up to 10 hours/week. Temporary position. Start date will be as soon as possible with minimum commitment at least through the end of 2020.|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Environmental and Transportation Planning division of the City of Cambridge’s Community Development Department is responsible for improving quality of life by working to protect and improve the environment, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and by planning a sustainable transportation system.
The Community Development Department seeks an intern with an interest in sustainable transportation, Complete Streets, outreach, and public transit. This intern will report to a senior Transportation Planner in the Community Development Department and support the following work:
- The transit program, MBTA coordination, and related analysis
- The Bus Stop Improvement program
- Outreach for major infrastructure design projects such as the River Street Reconstruction project and Grand Junction Multi-Use Path and Conceptual Transit Design
- Other projects as feasible
Examples of tasks include:
- Meeting logistics (confirming locations, assisting in meeting preparation)
- Field work (surveying bus shelter locations, distributing public meeting information to businesses and residents, carrying out intercept surveys)
- Analysis (online research, transit data analysis and synthesis, demographic data analysis),
- Design (graphics outreach materials, mock-ups of designs being discussed internally)
The internship provides ample opportunities for exposure to internal planning meetings as well as attending and supporting working group and public meetings.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Pursuing Master’s in a related field of study or 1 to 3 years work experience in a transportation related position
- Excellent writing skills and comfort with public communications
- Exceptional attention to detail and creativity
- Ability to remain flexible and thrive in an independent, fast paced and dynamic environment. Good time management skills.
- Ability to organize and present transportation data in Excel.
- Ability to do basic manipulation of flyer formats in In Design and to use a similar or simpler design program (even PPT) to display and communicate concepts internally.
- Computer skills: Proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required, proficiency in SketchUp, Photoshop, and/or ArcGIS are desirable.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Standard office environment. Fluorescent lighting and air conditioning. Moderate noise level.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Answer telephones and maintain multiple files. May require minimal lifting of up to 10 pounds. Work involves travel to and through the City to project locations. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.RATE: $16.15/hour
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and cover letter describing your interest in sustainable transportation and particularly public transit; external applicants submit your resume and a cover letter describing your interest in sustainable transportation and particularly public transit by 8pm on the closing date via email to: email@example.com or to the Personnel Department, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Please specify your available start dates in your cover letter.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.