NOTICE OF POSTINGPOSTING DATE: February 13, 2020
RESUME AND LETTER OF INTEREST REQUESTED BY: 3/12/20 POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
|Department:||Human Service Programs|
|Job Title:||Senior Center Program Assistant|
|Civil Service Position:||Non Civil Service position|
|Hours Per Week:||37.5 hours per week. Required hours: Tuesdays & Thursdays 8:30 AM-5:00 PM, Saturdays 8:30 AM-1:00 PM. Remaining hours to be discussed.|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Within the Department of Human Service Programs (DHSP), the Council on Aging (COA) works to advocate and provide activities and recreational opportunities to enhance the lives of older adults. Through the Cambridge Senior Center, older adults are engaged in a variety of diverse programs and activities, Monday- Saturday. The Cambridge Senior Center also operates a Senior Food Pantry on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This position will lead and oversee the development of Saturday activities and assist in Pantry distribution. This position is supervised by the Cambridge Senior Center Director.
- Responsible for ensuring the smooth operation of the Cambridge Senior Center on Saturdays.
- Coordinate with the Department of Public Works the opening and closing of the Senior Center on Saturdays.
- Responsible for the set-up of Saturday classes and activities. Also responsible for the collection of class fees and statistics on class participants.
- Provide direction and support to staff working on Saturdays to ensure the smooth operation of the Center.
- In collaboration with the Senior Center Director and Senior Center Activity Staff, create, implement and oversee programs and activities to be offered at the Senior Center on Saturdays.
- Assist the Food Pantry Coordinator to operate a twice per week (Tuesdays and Thursdays) pantry with a staff of volunteers.
- Assists with weekly shopping trips to the Boston Food Bank.
- Receive, sort and evaluate privately donated food items.
- Load and off-load purchased food for the Pantry.
- Clean and organize pantry stock.
- Work closely with Pantry Coordinator and volunteers to distribute food to Pantry Participants.
- Maintain correct counts for food items for the pantry inventory control system.
- Clean and maintain the pantry area in accordance with Public Health policies
- Assist with special projects and Senior Center functions as designated.
- Attend Staff meetings and assigned trainings.
- Actively engage in and support the Department’s Race and Equity Initiative.
High School Diploma/GED required. Must be well organized, able to communicate effectively and have proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office. Must be able to work cooperatively as well as independently and be able to work well with a diverse population. Must display sensitivity to aging population and their varying needs. Familiarity with Cambridge Seniors and programs highly desirable. A valid Massachusetts Class D Driver’s License is required.
High volume of staff requests in a center with an active schedule of senior events requiring support. Close office quarters, sharing workspace with 1-2 co-workers. Office is air conditioned and has fluorescent lights. Building has multiple floors with elevators.
Ability to access, input and retrieve information from a computer. Ability to answer phones and maintain multiple files. Ability to lift 60 lbs. and to transport food from areas of the building using a flatbed and pallet jack. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.RATE: $39,489-$49,067 annually + excellent benefits
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and letter of interest requested by 3/12/20. Position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.