NOTICE OF POSTINGPOSTING DATE: December 20, 2019
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
|Department:||Public Works Department (DPW)|
|Job Title:||Gardener/Special MEO (Gardner/MEOIIA)|
|Job Code:||# C768-006|
|Civil Service Position:||Subject to Civil Service rules and regulations|
|Union Affiliation:||Teamster Local 25|
|Hours Per Week:||40 hour workweek|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the general supervision of the Superintendent of Parks, the Gardener:
- Performs a variety of manual work involved in planting, caring for, and maintaining gardens, shrubs, lawns, flowers, trees, and other plants.
- Seeds lawns and gardens, including pruning of trees and shrubs.
- Plants and transplants flowers.
- Performs weeding, watering and fertilizing.
- Cares for lawns and ornamental gardens.
- Determines care needed by plants, trees, flowers, shrubs, and lawns; with assistance of the appropriate supervisors.
- Performs related manual tasks such as cutting grass, clearing snow, raking, digging, edging and pruning.
- Uses equipment, tools, and vehicles necessary to gardening work and snow clearing
- Performs other duties as required from time-to-time including snow and other inclement weather or emergency duties.
- Required to adhere to all safety rules and regulations as well as dress code policies.
One year of related job experience required. Possession of a current and valid Commercial Driver’s License Class B plus a current and valid Hoisting License class 2B (backhoes and loaders) as issued by the Department of Public Safety. Department of Transportation medical certifications may be required of applicants pursuant to the Teamsters Local 25 collective bargaining agreement.
Lifting between 25-100 pounds, repetitive proper bending, squatting, stretching, pushing, climbing, dragging, and pulling. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Exposure to all weather conditions. Work in a moderate to high noise level environment caused by sound of machinery or powered equipment being used. Occasional odor may occur during the course of work.
- Competitive Health, Dental and Vision Benefits
- Vacation and Sick Leave Eligible
- Sick Incentive Pay Eligible
- 3 Personal Days
- 13 Paid Holidays
- Clothing Allowance, $975 per year
REPORTS TO: Superintendent of ParksRATE: $26.03 - $30.45/hour + excellent benefits
Internal applicants with permanent civil service status submit a job bidding form to the Personnel Department; external applicants, complete a labor service application form (click on link) available from and returned to the Personnel Department, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Mass Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.