NOTICE OF POSTINGPOSTING DATE: November 8, 2018
Labor Applications are accepted ongoing basis
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
|Department:||Public Works Department (DPW)|
|Job Title:||Gardener/Heavy MEO|
|Civil Service Position:||Subject to Civil Service rules and regulations|
|Union Affiliation:||Teamster Local 25|
|Hours Per Week:||40 Hour Workweek|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the general supervision of the Superintendent of Parks and Urban Forestry, the Gardener:
- performs a variety of manual work involved in planting, caring for, and maintaining gardens, shrubs, lawns, flowers, trees, and other plants; seeds lawns and gardens, including pruning of trees and shrubs; plants and transplants flowers.
- with assistance of the appropriate supervisors, cares for lawns and ornamental gardens; determines care needed by plants, trees, flowers, shrubs, and lawns.
- performs related manual tasks such as cutting grass, clearing snow, raking, digging, edging and pruning; uses equipment, tools, and vehicles necessary to gardening work and snow clearing.
- performs snow and other inclement weather or emergency duties as need arises.
- performs other related duties as assigned.
A minimum of one year of demonstrated work experience in the maintenance and care of gardens, shrubs, flowers, trees, and plants. Must possess a current and valid Massachusetts Commercial Driver’s License Classification B. Department of Transportation medical certifications may be required of applicants pursuant to the Teamsters Local 25 collective bargaining agreement.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Lifting between 25-100 pounds, repetitive proper bending, squatting, stretching, pushing, climbing, dragging, and pulling. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Exposure to all weather conditions. Work in a moderate to high noise level environment caused by sound of machinery or powered equipment being used. Occasional odor may occur during the course of work. Required to adhere to all safety rules and regulations as well as to dress code policies.RATE: $20.42 - $27.90 per hour plus excellent benefits
Internal applicants with permanent civil service status should submit job bidding form to the Personnel Department, external applicants must complete a Labor Service Application available from and returned to: Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139. Fax: (617) 349-4312.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.