NOTICE OF POSTINGPOSTING DATE: June 9, 2020
RESUME AND LETTER OF INTEREST REQUESTED BY 07/07/20 POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
|Job Title:||City Electrician|
|Civil Service Position:||Non Civil Service position|
|Hours Per Week:||37.5 hours per week; May be called upon to work during emergencies|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the City Manager and working in close collaboration with the Commissioner of Public Works, the City Electrician under Cambridge Municipal Ordinances Chapters 2.56 and 15.16 has overall responsibility to plan, supervise, and oversee department activities including all street lighting and lighting in outdoor areas of municipal property; the electrical maintenance of the fire alarm systems and security systems of all public facilities; municipal fire alarm systems and public emergency alarms; and the communications network for all municipally owned buildings and facilities. The City Electrician manages 13 staff members, including 8 electricians.
The City Electrician coordinates utility projects with other City departments, citizen groups, vendors, utility companies including Eversource, and federal/state officials; prepares and manages annual operating and capital budgets; and serves as the Superintendent of Fire Alarm and a member of the Pole and Conduit Commission. The City Electrician also engages in strategic planning, with particular emphasis on cost and energy efficiency; develops and implements policies and procedures to create a safe work environment; and develops and implements asset management and work order systems.
The City Electrician attends community and interdepartmental meetings; responds to community concerns in relation to department projects and issues; and performs related duties as required.
- B.S. degree from an accredited school in electrical engineering or equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience.
- Valid Massachusetts Journeyman Electrician License required.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of Massachusetts State Electrical Code.
- Knowledge of Municipal signal systems, fiber cable networks, local network cabling and fire and security building systems.
- Knowledge of utility work for electric, communications and video installation in or above the public way.
- Knowledge of telephone systems including PBX and Centrex systems.
- Experience implementing effective safety programs.
- Demonstrated experience in managing operating and capital budgets and projects.
- Ten years of progressively responsible experience in the operations of an electrical utility or public sector electrical entity, and at least five years supervising personnel.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, staff, peers, contractors, the public and other city departments and government agencies.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret codes, rules, regulations, construction plans, maps, drawings, schematics, wiring diagrams.
- Knowledge of technical procedures, and governmental regulations.
- Valid Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Operator’s Class D required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Pole and Conduit Commission policies and procedures is desirable.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work involves lifting, stretching, walking, bending, squatting and reaching. Work indoors in professional office areas. Work outdoors includes city roadways, parks, athletic fields and construction sites in all types of weather. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.RATE: $131,811 to $146,854 + excellent benefits
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit your resume and letter of interest via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and letter of interest requested by 07/07/20. Position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.