NOTICE OF POSTINGPOSTING DATE: September 17, 2020
RESUME AND LETTER OF INTEREST REQUESTED BY: 10/19/20 POSITON WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Cambridge residents are especially encouraged to apply.
|Department:||Human Service Programs|
|Job Title:||Bilingual Office Aide, Community Learning Center (CLC)|
|Civil Service Position:||Non Civil Service position|
|Hours Per Week:||37.5 hours per week; includes 2-4 evenings per week until 9:30 PM. Exact schedule to be determined in conversation with the applicant.|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Community Learning Center (CLC) empowers a diverse community of adult learners to transform their lives and realize their potential through education, skills development, and community participation. Students are predominantly low-income Cambridge residents and come from a variety of ethnic, linguistic, and racial backgrounds; they are currently enrolled in English or Adult Basic Education classes or training.
The Bilingual Office Aide is a full-time front desk position responsible for creating a welcoming environment for our students, staff, guests, and walk-ins. The ideal candidate will possess excellent customer service and communication skills and will promote an atmosphere of acceptance, inclusion, and professionalism in a multi-cultural environment. They will welcome learning new things and will be a team player.
- Answer phones and greet all visitors to the CLC, including walk-ins and members of the community, and provide accurate referral information
- Perform a variety of office tasks from filing and preparing mailings to keeping and updating an inventory of supplies, managing pick-up and distribution of mail, and using MS Outlook to maintain calendars and room reservations
- Perform data entry tasks including entering student data for a statewide database, updating student files each semester, and issuing student IDs
- Participate in staff and department meetings and professional development activities
- Perform other tasks as assigned
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Fluency in at least one language other than English spoken by a significant portion of CLC students, e.g., Amharic, Bengali, Haitian Creole, Portuguese, Spanish, Chinese
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Good computer skills including Microsoft Office and Excel, and familiarity with databases; training will be provided as needed
- Punctuality, accuracy, and attention to detail
- Teamwork orientation
General office and classroom environment with air conditioning and fluorescent lighting. Desk located in shared office space.
Job requires extensive computer use. Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Ability to answer telephones and maintain multiple files. Ability to lift and carry up to five pounds of books and papers.RATE: $19.04-$24.14 per hour + excellent benefits
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: email@example.com or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resumes and letters of interest requested by 10/19/20. Position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.