Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Take a look at what employees are working on related to our Term of Council Priorities moving us forward towards The Brampton 2040 Vision.
FIRE PREVENTION OFFICER – PROBATIONARY (4 Positions)
POSTING NUMBER: 103705
STARTING SALARY: $61,234.00 per annum
Are you seeking for a promising future ahead? Join an inspired Fire Prevention Division and bring new meaning to your career as you play a crucial role leading Fire Prevention. We are looking for talented Fire Prevention Officers and leaders like you to drive continuous improvement and build on our success at Brampton Fire and Emergency Services.
Do you demonstrate high integrity and are invested in creating a culture of engagement where people matter and fire safety is paramount! Does being part of building a community that is innovative, inclusive and bold define you?
If this describes your professional journey, and your demonstrated character and competencies, we want to hear from you………..
What you can expect…..
Reporting to the Division Chief, Fire Prevention in this highly visible, you will:
- Conduct inspections and enforces the Ontario Fire Code and other relevant legislation and standards;
- Produces and maintains comprehensive documentation and reports related to all activities;
- Acts as an assistant to the Fire Marshal under the provisions of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act (FPPA).
- Participates in fire safety education programs, as assigned;
- Initiates the Fire Code enforcement process and acts as a witness in court or other proceedings as required;
- Inspects and tests various fire protection systems;
- Reviews various site plans as assigned with respect to code compliance and fire safety;
- Assist in providing training and guidance to other Fire and Emergency Services staff as required;
- Conducts fire investigations as assigned.
- Grade 12 education or equivalent secondary education as established by the Ontario Ministry of Education;
- Ontario College Advanced Diploma in Fire Protection Engineering Technology or equivalent;
- Minimum 1-5 years experience in fire protection inspection, installation, maintenance and/or enforcement or a related field;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Ontario Fire Code;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Ontario Building Code;
- Demonstrated reliability;
- Demonstrated experience in the design, function, installation, maintenance and operation of the following systems: sprinkler systems, standpipe and hose systems, fire alarm and voice communication systems, commercial cooking equipment ventilation and various fire protection systems;
- Demonstrated customer service and public relations skills;
- Demonstrated communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and within a team environment;
- Demonstrated organizational skills;
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and adaptable;
- Must possess and maintain a valid, non-probationary, Class “G” Ontario Driver’s License
- Must be able to lift and stand for extended periods of time;
- Must be willing and able to wear all required uniform clothing and/or personal protective equipment as assigned/required;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite;
- Must be available to work shift work and variable hours.
- Enforcement and court prosecution skills
- Knowledge of chemistry including knowledge of flammable and combustible liquids
- Fire fighting background
Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Starting Salary: $61,234.00 annual as per B.P.F.F.A Local 1068 Collective Agreement - 60% of a 1st Class Firefighter
Classification Salary Range: $61,234.00 - $110,222.00 per annum
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Union
Applications must be received by: April 1, 2020
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #103705 by April 1, 2020 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.