Registered Practical Nurse, Mental Health
- Job ID
- # Positions
- Inpatient Mental Health
- Job Type
- Part Time
- Closed Date
Cambridge Memorial Hospital (CMH) is a thriving community hospital that proudly provides acute care services including: Emergency, Surgery, Medicine, Women’s and Children’s Health, Intensive Care, Mental Health, and Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation.
Our vision is to provide exceptional healthcare by exceptional people. Our dedicated and skilled staff are passionate about providing outstanding patient-centred care, and an exceptional patient experience to residents of the Waterloo Region and beyond.
Join CMH as it leads in innovation and compassion! With a beautiful and caring community like no other, you are not just expanding our career; you are enhancing your life! To learn more about CMH, please visit our website at www.cmh.org.
The Registered Practical Nurse demonstrates the knowledge, skills and abilities for nursing care to individuals with serious disruptions in mental health including: knowledge of psychotropic medications, their uses, methods of action, and administration; understanding the needs of patients within the context of family and community; excellent communication skills within the multidisciplinary framework of mental health care; collaborative interdisciplinary approach to patient care; critical thinking skills to solve problems that occur in day-to-day practice; knowledge and practice of health promotion as related to the mental health patient’s plan of care; and understanding of the the integral relationship between mental health nursing in the inpatient setting with that offered in the outpatient setting. This position is to work all shifts including days, evenings, nights and weekends and holidays. The physical demands of the role may include but are not limited to prolonged sitting, standing, walking, bending, lifting, pushing and pulling. This position contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
Posted hours do not constitute a guarantee that shifts will not be subject to change.
Skills and Qualifications:
- College of Nurses of Ontario Certificate of Registration required.
- RPN Diploma or equivalent required.
- Two (2) years current experience in mental health related nursing required
- Successfully complete the CMH Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (NVCI) Training within 3 months of hire
- Knowledge of the Ontario Mental Health Reporting System (OMHRS) and Meditech system modules an asset
- Must demonstrate excellent communication, problem solving and negotiating skills in a multidisciplinary environment
- Must demonstrate the ability to integrate discharge planning and appropriate use of community resources as it pertains to mental health into the client’s plan of care
- Must incorporate knowledge of health promotion as it relates to mental health into the client’s plan of care
- Demonstrated ability to attend work on a regular basis is required.
The successful external applicant is required to provide the applicable criminal record check, as requested by Human Resources, in accordance with federal and provincial legislation. Valid criminal record checks are in original format and dated with two months from date of conditional offer from CMH.
Cambridge Memorial Hospital is committed to providing and fostering a respectful workplace. All reasonable accommodation will be made to support participation in the recruitment process. Where needed, accommodations for disabilities will be provided, on request, to support participation in all aspects of the recruitment process.
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.