Registered Practical Nurse, Medicine
- Job ID
- # Positions
- Medicine A
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Closed Date
We are a large acute care, community hospital serving Cambridge, North Dumfries and the Region of Waterloo with 280 physicians, 1100 full- and part-time professional health care staff and more than 500 active volunteers. Our vision is to provide exceptional healthcare by exceptional people, with an emphasis on giving patients and their families an exceptional experience when they visit our hospital. With help from our Foundation partners and our supportive community, we purchase over $4 million of medical equipment each and every year to help ensure you will work with the best tools possible when caring for your patients. In collaboration with universities and colleges, we are also a teaching and placement site for medical, nursing and allied health programs. To learn more about Cambridge Memorial Hospital (CMH), please visit our website at www.cmh.org.
You will join CMH as we embrace a new era of care, expanded services and innovation. Construction is underway of a modern 5-storey tower and total renovation of all existing inpatient care and clinical support areas. Upon completion in 2022, our new hospital will contain:
- Patient care areas that are doubling in size, including larger surgical suites to accommodate advanced minimally invasive surgical equipment and an Emergency Department with dedicated treatment areas for mental health and different surgical subspecialties
- A patient-centred building design that promotes healing and intuitive wayfinding, while maximizing natural lighting and sight lines to the natural beauty of the Grand River
- An increase in beds from 143 to 197 to accommodate expanded services like Surgery, Mental Health and Intensive Care. About 80% of inpatient rooms will be single occupancy to meet the latest infection control and building code standards for hospitals
As a key member of the Medicine Team, the Registered Practical Nurse participates in the delivery of exceptional health care to patients by performing a variety of treatments and procedures, assessments, monitoring, interdisciplinary reporting and documenting changes in patient’s overall state. Additional responsibilities include assisting the patient with activities of daily living and providing both the patient and family with relevant information/education. The successful incumbent will demonstrate the application of nursing knowledge through patient assessment and utilizes the Three Factor Framework to manage the full scope of practice for patient care. The physical demands of the role may include but are not limited to sitting, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting and bending. Duties as per job fact sheet.
Posted hours do not constitute a guarantee that shifts will not be subject to change.
Skills and Qualifications:
- College of Nurses of Ontario Certificate of Registration in good standing, required
- RPN Diploma or equivalent required
- Current CPR certificate required
- Medication administration course required
- Excellent physical assessment skills required
- Minimum of one year recent medical experience within a hopsital setting, required
- Telemetry and/or oncologic and palliative nursing experience preferred
- Demonstrated evidence of ongoing professional education required in related clinical area
- Demonstrated knowledge of discharge planning and appropriate use of community resources, required
- Demonstrated ability to work in a patient centered, multi-disciplinary team environment is essential
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and negotiating skills required
- I.V. trained and certified or willing to obtain within 6 months of hire required
- Must demonstrate familiarity with monitoring patients receiving blood products
- Experience and demonstrated ability in CADD pump maintenance or willing to obtain within 6 months of hire preferred
- Knowledge, experience and competence in managing complex pain and symptoms related to disease processes and palliation preferred
- Must demonstrate psychosocial skills and relevant experience with offering supportive emotional care to the patient and their family/significant others from all cultural backgrounds
- Experience with Meditech system modules preferred
- Demonstrated ability to attend work on a regular basis is required
The successful external applicant is required to provide the applicable criminal record check, as requested by Human Resources, in accordance with federal and provincial legislation. Valid criminal record checks are in original format and dated within two months from date of conditional offer from CMH.
Cambridge Memorial Hospital is committed to providing and fostering a respectful workplace. All reasonable accommodation will be made to support participation in the recruitment process. Where needed, accommodations for disabilities will be provided, on request, to support participation in all aspects of the recruitment process.