Registered Practical Nurse, Inpatient Surgery
- Job ID
- # Positions
- Job Type
- Full Time Contract
- Closed Date
We are a large acute care, community hospital serving Cambridge, North Dumfries and the Region of Waterloo with 280 physicians, 1100 full- and part-time professional health care staff and more than 500 active volunteers. Our vision is to provide exceptional healthcare by exceptional people, with an emphasis on giving patients and their families an exceptional experience when they visit our hospital. With help from our Foundation partners and our supportive community, we purchase over $4 million of medical equipment each and every year to help ensure you will work with the best tools possible when caring for your patients. In collaboration with universities and colleges, we are also a teaching and placement site for medical, nursing and allied health programs. To learn more about Cambridge Memorial Hospital (CMH), please visit our website at www.cmh.org.
You will join CMH as we embrace a new era of care, expanded services and innovation. Construction is underway of a modern 5-storey tower and total renovation of all existing inpatient care and clinical support areas. Upon completion in 2022, our new hospital will contain:
- Patient care areas that are doubling in size, including larger surgical suites to accommodate advanced minimally invasive surgical equipment and an Emergency Department with dedicated treatment areas for mental health and different surgical subspecialties
- A patient-centred building design that promotes healing and intuitive wayfinding, while maximizing natural lighting and sight lines to the natural beauty of the Grand River
- An increase in beds from 143 to 197 to accommodate expanded services like Surgery, Mental Health and Intensive Care. About 80% of inpatient rooms will be single occupancy to meet the latest infection control and building code standards for hospitals
As a key member of the Inpatient Surgery team, the Registered Practical Nurse assumes a participative role on the health care team and will provide nursing services, within their defined scope of practice, to patients based on patient assessment and care planning procedures. This is a full time contract position to work 12 hour shifts including days, evenings, nights, weekends and statutory holidays. The physical demands of the role may include but are not limited to prolonged sitting, standing, walking, bending, lifting, pushing and pulling. This position contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
Posted hours do not constitute a guarantee that shifts will not be subject to change.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Candidates must be registered with the College of Nurses of Ontario and in good standing
- RPN Diploma or equivalent required
- Current BCLS certificate required
- Demonstrates application of nursing knowledge through patient assessment and recognizing limits of practice and consulting appropriately
- 2 years current medical/surgical experience in an active care setting required
- Medication administration course essential
- CMH certified to initiate IV and administer IV medications required
- Epidural certification and experience in monitoring a patient post epi-morph is preferred
- Demonstrated evidence of commitment to ongoing education essential
- Demonstrate ability to integrate discharge planning and appropriate use of community resources into the client’s care plan
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills in a multidisciplinary environment
- Ability to incorporate knowledge of health promotion into the client’s care plan
- Computer literacy and knowledge of Meditech system modules would be a definite asset
- Demonstrated ability to attend work on a regular basis is required
The successful external applicant is required to provide the applicable criminal record check, as requested by Human Resources, in accordance with federal and provincial legislation. Valid criminal record checks are in original format and dated with two months from date of conditional offer from CMH.
Cambridge Memorial Hospital is committed to providing and fostering a respectful workplace. All reasonable accommodation will be made to support participation in the recruitment process. Where needed, accommodations for disabilities will be provided, on request, to support participation in all aspects of the recruitment process.