Registered Nurse, Medicine
- Job ID
- # Positions
- Medicine B
- Job Type
- Full Time Contract
- Closed Date
We are a large acute care, community hospital serving Cambridge, North Dumfries and the Region of Waterloo employing 280 physicians, 1100 full and part-time professional health care staff and more than 500 active volunteers. Our vision is to provide exceptional healthcare by exceptional people, with an emphasis on giving patients and their families an exceptional experience when they visit our hospital. With help from our Foundation partners and our supportive community, we purchase over $4 million of medical equipment each and every year to help ensure you will work with the best tools possible when caring for your patients. In collaboration with universities and colleges, we are also a teaching and placement site for medical, nursing and allied health programs. To learn more about Cambridge Memorial Hospital (CMH), please visit our website at www.cmh.org.
You will join CMH as we embrace a new era of care, expanded services and innovation. In January 2020, we opened a new five-storey patient care wing that has:
- Patient care areas double in size, including large surgical suites that accommodate advanced minimally invasive surgical equipment.
- A 40-bay Emergency Department with dedicated treatment areas for mental health and different subspecialties.
- Expanded inpatient Mental Health, Mental Health Day Hospital and Intensive Care programs
- A patient-centered building design, promoting safety, advanced infection control, healing and intuitive wayfinding, while maximizing natural lighting and sight lines to the natural beauty of the Grand River.
The hospital is preparing for its next transformative phase that includes a total renovation of its Wing B inpatient care and clinical support areas. Upon completion in 2025, our new hospital will increase its beds from 143 to 197 to accommodate expanded services like Surgery, Rehabilitation, and Medicine programs as well as Diagnostic Imaging and Laboratory services. About 80% of inpatient rooms will be single occupancy to meet the latest infection control and building code standards for hospitals.
As a key member of the Medicine Team, the Registered Nurse delivers exceptional patient care through the application of the nursing process which includes assessment, planning, implementing and evaluating. The successful incumbent will collaborate with multidisciplinary health care professionals to provide nursing care in accordance with hospital policies and best practice nursing standards. Additional responsibilities may include coordinating patient care according to the Three Factor Framework, discharge planning, patient and family education, and charge nurse duties. The physical demands of the role may include but are not limited to sitting, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting and bending. This position contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors. Other duties as per job fact sheet.
Posted hours do not constitute a guarantee that shifts will not be subject to change.
Skills and Qualifications:
- College of Nurses of Ontario Certificate of Registration in good standing required
- RN diploma required, BScN preferred or in progress
- Current CPR certificate required
- Excellent physical assessment skills required
- Minimum of one recent year medical experience within a hospital setting, required
- Telemetry and/or oncologic and palliative nursing experience preferred
- Demonstrated evidence of ongoing professional education required in related clinical area
- Demonstrated ability to integrate discharge planning and appropriate use of community resources into client’s care plan required
- Demonstrated ability to work in a patient centered, multi-disciplinary team environment is essential
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and negotiating skills required
- I.V. trained and certified or willing to obtain within 6 months of hire required
- Certification in central line care required or willing to obtain within 6 months of hire required
- Must demonstrate familiarity with blood products and protocols, including the indication and use of special filters for transfusions
- Experience and demonstrated ability in CADD pump programming and maintenance or willing to obtain within 6 months of hire preferred
- Knowledge, experience and competence in managing complex pain and symptoms related to disease processes and palliation preferred
- Must demonstrate psychosocial skills and relevant experience with offering supportive emotional care to the patient and their family/significant others from all cultural backgrounds
- Experience with Meditech system modules preferred
- Demonstrated ability to attend work on a regular basis is required.
As per the O.N.A. collective agreement all O.N.A. members (full-time, part-time and casual) are eligible to apply for this position.
The successful external applicant is required to provide the applicable criminal record check, as requested by Human Resources, in accordance with federal and provincial legislation. Valid criminal record checks are in original format and dated with two months from date of conditional offer from CMH.
Cambridge Memorial Hospital is committed to providing and fostering a respectful workplace. All reasonable accommodation will be made to support participation in the recruitment process. Where needed, accommodations for disabilities will be provided, on request, to support participation in all aspects of the recruitment process.